Moray Eel sick again :*( PLEASE HELP!!! Weird algae growing too!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I've "owned" dozens of them over the years. Not everyone who works at an LFS is a moron!

aquariumdude

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
Come here to indpls then because literally everyone told me they were freshwater fish...one guy said they would "probably" like brackish more but I don't like "probably." Anyways did you see my parameters? what do you think I should do?

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I would do a 50% change with the new water mixed to 1.015 right off the bat. Next day do another mixed to 1.020. You need to raise salinity and reduce nitrates. Other parameters are ok, pH is a bit low but the changes will solve that. Raise temp to 80. Keep nitrates as low as possible, certainly under 20 at least until the Eel recovers. After he recovers if you want to drop salinity back to 1.010-1.012 that should be fine, but you'd do better to keep it at at least 1.020. at that point start thinking about marine fish! Mollies will do fine as well. Then of course you can start thinking about skimmers and all that good SW stuff!

aquariumdude

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
I would do a 50% change with the new water mixed to 1.015 right off the bat. Next day do another mixed to 1.020. You need to raise salinity and reduce nitrates. Other parameters are ok, pH is a bit low but the changes will solve that. Raise temp to 80. Keep nitrates as low as possible, certainly under 20 at least until the Eel recovers. After he recovers if you want to drop salinity back to 1.010-1.012 that should be fine, but you'd do better to keep it at at least 1.020. at that point start thinking about marine fish! Mollies will do fine as well. Then of course you can start thinking about skimmers and all that good SW stuff!

What kind of salt? Just aquarium salt or marine salt?

dmann

water logged
Jun 19, 2009
florida
I have 7 piranhas currently in a 55 gallon (obviously way too small because they have grown so fast) and a fire eel (10-12 inches long). They've never tried attacking him and he does come out occassionally. I would like to see him alot more when feeding so I'm considering getting rid of the piranhas and have considered replacing them with a small sting ray. I was also told a clown knife would match well too. So it'd be a stingray, clown knife and fire eel. I guess my question is would the stingray thrive in my tank (been told 125 is the minimum) with the eel and clown knife. If not what would you recommend? I do have multiple filters and clean every other week so that is not a problem. Also would pool filter sand be okay for these fish as well?

Thanks for looking!![/QUOTE
]

no offense ad but i hope your not still considering the ray. until you have this resolved anyways

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Pappy's right, marine salt. I would recommend Instant Ocean or Crystal Sea as they're both pretty inexpensive and have good alk levels.

aquariumdude

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
]

no offense ad but i hope your not still considering the ray. until you have this resolved anyways
No no not at all. Probably won't even do a ray. I won't be setting up the 150 gallon for a couple of weeks still. I have to get the moray back and healthy again before I consider anything!! I will be moving him into a bigger aquarium so this shouldn't be a problem in the future. I assume due to all the rosie reds dying they made the nitrates/nitrites sky rocket....i know the smaller the tank the quicker those things can change.

I appreciate your help tho!

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
just for the record- there is no such thing as a totally FW moray eel. some species of moray do venture into FW and BW to breed and such, but they are not permanent residents at all. in fact, they usually fast the entire time they are in FW, so keeping them inFW is not the best idea. this is probably why your moray has become 'ill'. it was out of its element and was starving on top of that; both factors can lower a fish's immunity and make them seem lethargic. move him to SW and he will be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store