"Multies" Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Farow

AC Members
Jun 15, 2010
Broomfield, CO
The Pygmy Cories and the Cherry shrimp would be going in a seperate tank. I have a 10 gallon tank set up with Pygmy Rasboras in which the Cherry Shrimp and Cories would go. The multies are going to be in a species only tank. I should have been more clear. Just was going to lump them altogether in an order since I have been looking for those fish too.

MisaHasTheEyes

AC Members
Nov 21, 2008
Also, good place to find shells is your local craft store. Make sure they aren't painted or dyed, but I found a ton of nice shells, many in bags, for cheap.

Farow

AC Members
Jun 15, 2010
Broomfield, CO
I have been having difficulty finding Multies locally. There are few places online that I have found that carried them but shipping can be pricey. Trying to save as much money as possible. There is a fish that seems fairly similar Lamp. brevis at my local fish store. Is there any major differences between the two species other than looks? If you picked one or the other which would you choose?

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Brevis do not colonize and they will fight if not given enough space, I had eight of them in a 55gal and they still fought like cats and dogs, My recommendation would be to start out with 5 smaller Brevis sort them out when they pair off.. But if i had to choose i would do Multi's to get that colony style group..

Dagamoth

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Milford, OH
Real Name
Adam
IIRC brevis will eat their fry also where multi won't. So if you decide to go brevis do a lil research, you might have to be removing shells after they spawn to raise in a different tank.

Farow

AC Members
Jun 15, 2010
Broomfield, CO
I think I will stick with multies. I just thought I would bring it up as a possibility. Personally, I was pretty much sold on them. The LFS offered the other fish saying they were quite similar but I was skeptical and decided to wait.

My LFS can special order them but will not give me a price because it depends on the dealer they go through. That made me a little nervous because they have been known to mark up things. They have sold Cherry Shrimp for about 5-6 dollars. Most places you can get them for under two dollars and I am pretty sure they do not have a special strand or anything. Most times they have reasonable prices but I just did not want to get a large price hike just because they are special ordered. Either way the tank is still cycling so I have time to keep looking. From what I can tell on internet prices they usually range between 5 and 12 dollars.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store