"Multies" Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
At our club we have them available all the time for a bag of shrimp for like 5 bucks sometimes cheaper.. Shop around five dollars is highway robbery for a single RCS..

Farow

AC Members
Jun 15, 2010
Broomfield, CO
Okay, I found 5 of them on aquabid for 50 dollars shipping included and even some free shells. I figured that is probably the best deal I am going to get at the moment. I had seen them pop up on aquabid a few times but they were gone before my tank was finished cycling. It is now done so luckily I was able to snatch them up.

Today, I managed to round up 6 shells I picked up from various stores when I was younger. I bought four more for 25 cents (larger ones or barncles where 10+). I read they need about 3 shells per fish so I need to go pick up five more and I will probably ask my roommate who works at King Soopers to try to pick up a few for me.

I don't know if I am missing anything else. I will try and post pictures when they arrive.

As for local clubs and such I really don't know of any. Never looked for them on the internet but I could start searching. I live in Colorado so I guess if anyone knows of clubs in the Denver metro area I would be willing to check them out some time.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Yeah thats not a bad deal if there not readily available in your area..

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
Try pming Ashes2ashes, she has a colony going. I bought 7 from her last March, she might have some for you. They were very healthy little guys, all 7 are still alive and breeding in my 125g. Over the past 20 years I've kept multi's several times. I'd start with six to ensure you get at least one male. Typically, a dominant male will oust other males from his colony. I set up my tanks with a small area separated with java fern tied to rocks, put a shell or two in that area, the males will find refuge there. You can then sell those males or turn them into your LFS for credit. Good luck with them, they make for a fun tank.

Last edited:

Lanaka

AC Members
Jan 26, 2009
Yup, not to mention the cories are from South/Central Americas which has more acidic waters (lower pH) while the multis hail from Africa's Lake Tanganyika which has a very alkaline waters. It's much easier to maintain a tank that has inhabitants that has similar water environment requirements.

Farow

AC Members
Jun 15, 2010
Broomfield, CO
Lanaka, I already stated on the last page that the cories and the multies are not going in the same tank. I know that they have very different requirements and are in no ways compatible together.

The fish I purchased were apparently already breeding some I am assuming I have at least one male :). If I have too many males I will likely see if someone will trade so I can acquire more females. In addition, I have an empty ten gallon to house any multies if I have aggression issues until I can find a new home. The java fern tied to a rock sounds like a good idea. I have some extra growing in my 46 gallon so if I have that problem I will try that suggestion.

Since Petco is having their dollar a gallon sale again I may pick up a 20 gallon long and just transfer everything. That will give me much more floor space to work with for the fish.

Fish should be arriving soon. Can't wait!

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
20g longs are a favorite tank size for me. I've kept a multi colony in one of mine before. It's a good size for them....

Farow

AC Members
Jun 15, 2010
Broomfield, CO
They arrived today. It looks like I got three males and two females based on size. Not the best ratio but so far they seem to be getting along fairly well. Two of the males have not really even show any aggression towards its eachother and moved into shells close together (will move the shells if there are problems). The two females seem to mostly be sticking with them. The third male is on a sandy hill in the far corner and chases off any of the others who get near. I will likely get the 20 gallon to give everyone more room.

Will post pictures once I get the tank settled in. Have a few more things to add before I am done.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store