My 29 gallon tank setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
If your snails are hungry, I could send you some hair algae from my bucket-o-algae. In all seriousness drop a few sinking algae wafers in there and see if the holes stop appearing. I have had plants survive worse.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jemi39

AC Members
Nov 21, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Real Name
Jeremy
I drop an algae wafer in every day :p My snail population is quite literally taking over my tank though xD I tried cutting back on feeding and the population is still steadily climbing. I try to remove clutches when I can find them. But I don't want to completely kill them off because they really do help out. :p Is there any tests out there for calcium levels in water..? I may try to do the root tab thing as well.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
What about a General Hardness test? You can get that info from your local water utilities board (online report posting). Kyle seems to think it was snails or BB guns too though, so I don't know about chasing the calcium rabbit. I was just porting information from one thread to the next :)

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
From the photos, I would not suspect calcium deficiency here. Something could be eating the leaves--I see this in my 90g with Botia kuborai who munch on sword plant leaves, though very little and not enough to bother me. None of the fish mentioned seem likely candidates. Snails maybe, but depends upon the species. You mention "small" snails, like pond or bladder maybe? These do not eat healthy plants but will munch on dying leaves. My tanks are full, literally, of Malaysian Livebearing and pond/bladder snails and no plants ever get eaten. Mystery snails I am not familiar with... ?

The other option is a nutrient deficiency. It is not much, since the damage is so little, at least in the photos. I believe you mentioned that no fertilizers are added. This can work, depending upon fish feedings and water changes. But the trace minerals are not always present and you do have some fast growing plants which thus take more light and nutrients. You might want to consider a comprehensive supplement like Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement or Brightwell Aqwuatics FlorinMulti. In a 29g, you would only need 1/2 teaspoon of the Flourish Comp once a week. I would try this and see if after 2-3 weeks the problem is solved. Flourish Trace might be sufficient, but it lacks iron and that may be part of this.

Byron.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Oh, I didn't remember "mystery snails" being mentioned. There are some species of those that are notorious for munching leaves, but as Byron suggested, snails typically only eat decaying leaves rather than healthy ones. You can't rule out BB guns just yet. Any cracks in the glass? The copper in them is deadly to snails.

http://www.applesnail.net/content/faq.php#2

Jemi39

AC Members
Nov 21, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Real Name
Jeremy
Well, I only have one mystery.. apple... whatever snail :p And he's huge and never seems to be near the sight of damage so I ruled him out xD Thank you very much, Byron! I was actually planning on ordering some liquid fertilizer and needed some advice on which to get. Seachem seems to be a reputable brand, so I shall give them a try! :D

My tank is literally over populated with bladder/pond snails and the malaysian trumpets are steadily rising.

And I have no idea! There are no leaks or cracks.. unless those darn neighbor kids are coming in and shooting directly into my tank.. I haven't ruled those little boigers out just yet.. :p

Jemi39

AC Members
Nov 21, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Real Name
Jeremy
Update!!
Water Wisteria has taken over.
I bumped up my tetras from 7 to 12 and they seem to be a lot happier :)
Parameters are still level.. This tank is an overall success so far!

uploadfromtaptalk1403022261035.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1403022283936.jpg

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Very nice...good work there.:clap:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store