My 40G Breeder Dart Frog tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
sweet now you just have make the fog come out of the driftwood waterfall
That's what I was planning on doing! I just had the hose there just for testing, but once everything is done, all the tubing/plumbing will be behind the waterfall in that corner.

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
New problem.
The filter I'm using isn't (I'm guessing) rated for such low water applications. It runs for about 10 minutes then the siphon breaks. I'm using an XP1. any suggestions?
Maybe i might just skip the whole filter and go with an internal water pump...

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
I have the tubes set up like a normal XP would have it. but then it was really bad, it was almost 2 minutes of working. I switched out the intake tube with some regular clear flexible tubing, added a sponge at the end. Still have the U-bend tube on there with the fill cap. It seemed to help but still loses suction.
I noticed as soon as I fill up the intake tube and start it, it drops to about half of what was in there. Before it dropped all the way, then i dialed the flow control all the way down on the output end. that helped but still goes to about half was not and then eventually falls. I currently have nothing in the filter, I did have the box with pads and everything but I just got a trickle from that.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
you could be sucking air in from somewhere along the line, but I know the low water/canister woes you speak of... it can be hard to get a good siphon going long enough to push all the air out of the system and keep the loop closed.

have you thought about drilling the tank and installing a low level bulkhead? it has it's risks, but I think is probably the best move for plumbing a paludarium/terrarium. You only really need to drill once, for the return line, although 2 holes gives you a clean top with nothing coming over the edge.

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
Yup thought about it, and the bright orange sticker on the bottom of the tanks says "Tempered Glass Do Not Drill" so that's out.
I'm really considering not using a filter and just a internal pump instead...
Any good recommendations?

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
...wait just a second. your telling me the whole thing isn't tempered, just the bottom?

FYI, the wood is not cypress, its actually Eucalyptus Roots.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store