My Angelfish are Here!!! Questions!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Agree with B2F about the feeding. Then feed a little lightly...don't want them to make piggies of themselves until they settle in well. I've left my fish for 9 days with no food...even juvie discus and they were fine.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
a little late now but there was a thread on this. personally i think its best to toss them in the tank in the bag to match the temp and net them out into the tank. with shipping the co2 rises in the bag over time whcih will lower the ph of the water. the lower the ph the less toxic ammonia can be. if you open the bag and start adding water the ph will rise back up and if there is ammonia (most likely) that can harm the fish. By netting them out as well you dont get any of the dirty water in the tank. its a very smart idea to always qt new fish even from breeders. they should be fine in that 20 gallon for a couple weeks. give them some good food tomorrow live/frozen keep the water clean. good luck

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
Hey fishboss - hope all is well!! Whatever you use as a set up is fine for now - it is temporary until they are ready for your big tank anyway. I feed my new ones as soon as they want to eat - seems to help them shake off the shipping stress and act more normal. I have live foods though - I think that makes a difference. I received 12 brichardi daffodil cichlids today and actually put some live bbs in the bucket with them (they were acting very normal) - they were eating in the bucket. I don't normally do this but I could tell they were ready to eat and already calmed down and comfy. Went right into the tank w/o any problems at all. I will usually wait for a few hours but I try to get them eating as soon as possible and they appear to be ready. Not a whole lot of food, just something to help them settle into their new home.

Keep us posted and enjoy

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Thanks you guys, they are doing great, checking out their tank, and swimming around. The have regained a bit of color, but probably have all of it by tomorrow.:)

a little late now but there was a thread on this. personally i think its best to toss them in the tank in the bag to match the temp and net them out into the tank. with shipping the co2 rises in the bag over time whcih will lower the ph of the water. the lower the ph the less toxic ammonia can be. if you open the bag and start adding water the ph will rise back up and if there is ammonia (most likely) that can harm the fish. By netting them out as well you dont get any of the dirty water in the tank. its a very smart idea to always qt new fish even from breeders. they should be fine in that 20 gallon for a couple weeks. give them some good food tomorrow live/frozen keep the water clean. good luck
Thanks for the info. I didn't add water in the bag, I did it ponderingkys way using a bucket, and in the end, I used one of the large transfer hang on water containers that most fish stores have for netting them. I had to use my 12" pleco net to get them. The pearlscale pretty much looks like aluminum foil wrapped over the fish.........lol

I put in lots of plants, and a coconut cave while I acclimated them for the 2 hours, 1st to the large tank, then to the quarantine. This relieved the stress, and the plants put O into the tank. I don't have any live food, but do you know how to start a culture. I try infusoria once, but it failed me even with 4 attempts, so any other live foods that I can make myself, or I will just buy them from aquabid.

Thanks, I will start a breeding journal soon.

Anybody out there know what I could use for them to spawn on?

I have PVC pipes, Clay pots(Fish safe), I can get slate, and I have DW, and River Rocks.

thanks
Ritap

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Hey fishboss - hope all is well!! Whatever you use as a set up is fine for now - it is temporary until they are ready for your big tank anyway. I feed my new ones as soon as they want to eat - seems to help them shake off the shipping stress and act more normal. I have live foods though - I think that makes a difference. I received 12 brichardi daffodil cichlids today and actually put some live bbs in the bucket with them (they were acting very normal) - they were eating in the bucket. I don't normally do this but I could tell they were ready to eat and already calmed down and comfy. Went right into the tank w/o any problems at all. I will usually wait for a few hours but I try to get them eating as soon as possible and they appear to be ready. Not a whole lot of food, just something to help them settle into their new home.

Keep us posted and enjoy
I love brichardi to, I was going to get some, but my parents(I'm 14) told me that I could only have 3 tanks total, which meant no brichardis so I have as of know

72G Planted Show Tank
20G angelfish breeding tank
10G Tiger Shrimp/RCS/Plant Growing Tank

I am going to get a desktop shrimp tank, so I can breed my GBRs and Gold Rams. I might just get a 37G with dviders for angels, and rams, and use a fluval ebi for shrimp.

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
Hey Fishboss - sounds like you are doing a great job with them and they are responding. An easy live food culture is grindal worms - not too smelly and can keep them at room temp. I got some from Ashes2ashes and jetajockey here on AC - both are great people to work with and ship their stuff well. Grindals are a little small for angels but big enough for them to notice - kinda like a small bag of peanuts for a snack I guess. If you are going to breed your angels you will need a small live food source - I hatch baby brine shrimp but microworms or vinegar eels might be OK (they have those too). Love to hear of someone so young doing all you are doing - we'll be buying our fish from you someday!! Something I have also done in the past is chop up redworms from my garden into small pieces and fed them to my angels and discus - they loved them. If your yard is treated with chemicals, don't use worms from there - only from nonchemical areas.

Keep up the good work,

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
^Thanks

I hope some turn out like the angel in my avatar. It looks so good, but I don't know what type of angels made it, you can see that 1 of the parents had blue ghost genes, and the other could have been a PB. The angels are spending their time at the top area of the tank.

I can't wait for them to breed. Maybe I'll start a brine shrimp hatchery. Do you know any good links? it seems that all the links I find myself for live food fail me:)

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
:)

The shrimp are here, they were in a tiny bag, and box on my porch, nobody even rang the bell:(

I just picked it up, it could have been there for over 6 hours. The bag is only 3"X3" with no air, just water, the kordon breather bags work:D

They are already colored up and as of now, and are floating in my tank:D

Nobody knocked or rang the bell???

Very weird UPS.:)

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
air line.jpg104_4219.JPG104_4218.JPG104_4220.JPGharvesting.jpg104_4215.JPG104_4214.JPG

On the brine shrimp hatchery - here is what I use. Its a slimline drinking water container from wally world. I love it - there is a little ledge to collect the unhatched eggs when you are collecting them from the spout. I have 2 of them going all the time and keep the extra in the fridge for later feedings - really easy to collect them and strain them for feeding or collecting in the small storage containers.

Here are some pics:

104_4214.JPG 104_4215.JPG harvesting.jpg 104_4220.JPG 104_4218.JPG 104_4219.JPG air line.jpg

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
The bag is only 3"X3" with no air, just water, the kordon breather bags work:D
I ship everything in kordon breather bags - they are awesome. I had some angels go all the way to Vegas (4 days ground) and they made it - a truly amazing product! I have some shrimp coming tomorrow - we are on an expansion trip together!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store