My blue angelfish.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Thks. Body size is around 2 inches (5 cm) in diameter. Care to share the one that you have?
Sure. I have a pair of them and they're both around 2", as well. Here's a pic of one of them that was just taken a few minutes ago. It's the only decent shot I could get.

100_5633.jpg

100_5633.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Dang! Those are pretty! Years ago I thought "blue angels" were overdosed with methylene blue to make them so pretty. Now I know better but still so lovely!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Oh no, I'd never own a dyed fish. These babies are naturally blue through selective breeding. ;) Mine have actually gotten bluer with age. They've only bred once that I know of, but the eggs didn't last long with the Rainbows and Sids in the tank. I need to give my pair their own tank to breed in. Preferably a 60G.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Not sure if you're joking or not but feeding these foods will not turn your silver angels to blue.

Well, since any joke that has to be explained has fallen flat, I will deny it and claim instead it was just wishful thinking. :)

thanks for the explanations on the food abbreviations. One thing that puzzles me though is why beef *heart* is such a popular food. Aside from being hard to get in a grocery compared to other parts of the ex-cow, why heart in particular and not liver or spleen or any other muscle meat like steak? Would pork or chicken heart work just as well?
/curious

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I believe the beef heart is lowest in fat and is a great growth food due to the high protein levels. I personally don't use it, but many discus breeders swear by it and it's supposed to also be a good red pigment color enhancer in fish. A good choice to enhance the blue pigments in fish are foods that contain Spirulina. Mine are fed NLS granules, Spirulina tables along with freeze dried/frozen blood worms, mysis, crushed krill and cyclopeeze granules.

bio_lover

AC Members
Dec 18, 2009
i dunno. cause everything is behind here. i'm sure i'll be able to get an over produced/inbred version of the fish in a couple years. i just started being able to get celestial pearl danios in my area a couple months ago so that says something. not sure about nova scotia.... i live up in northern ontario(in the middle of nowhere) so nova scotia is far, far away from here. besides canada has a lot of laws about 'altered' fish so some things you just can't get here at all if they are not natural.
Not sure whether the blues are considered "altered" fish to your country's law, but as long breeders do not alter the shape of the original fish, I think should be o.k. but we aren't the authorities. I just don't fancy fish that have been "modified" with "hearts", "peace" etc etc symbols on their bodies! Just like my place, regular fish breeding has to be licensed! So home breeders do shut their mouth about their "babies" but only to their trusted friends.

bio_lover

AC Members
Dec 18, 2009
Not sure if you're joking or not but feeding these foods will not turn your silver angels to blue.

Well, since any joke that has to be explained has fallen flat, I will deny it and claim instead it was just wishful thinking. :)

thanks for the explanations on the food abbreviations. One thing that puzzles me though is why beef *heart* is such a popular food. Aside from being hard to get in a grocery compared to other parts of the ex-cow, why heart in particular and not liver or spleen or any other muscle meat like steak? Would pork or chicken heart work just as well?
/curious
Some breeders at my place used pork heart, but chicken heart I think is to small and requires plenty to make the frozen food.

bio_lover

AC Members
Dec 18, 2009
I believe the beef heart is lowest in fat and is a great growth food due to the high protein levels. I personally don't use it, but many discus breeders swear by it and it's supposed to also be a good red pigment color enhancer in fish. A good choice to enhance the blue pigments in fish are foods that contain Spirulina. Mine are fed NLS granules, Spirulina tables along with freeze dried/frozen blood worms, mysis, crushed krill and cyclopeeze granules.
I agree to the above in bold. Being an ex-discus breeder, beef heart is good for accelerated growth and size, but do not simply make it just that food for the fish, variety is the choice. BH however, does not improve the red pigment colour to the discus.

You may wish to see some of my discus:-

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1825

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
the blue tint is not an altered fish, unless you consider selective breeding a form of altering.

Blue is a common color in many angels.

my P. Scalare (Peru) have blue highlights in the dorsal and ventral fins and also in the crest.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store