My Cories have finally bred

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Congrats! Always nice to see the cory invasion plan working well.

I've only seen them survive if they're removed from the tank. Beyond that, I dont know much experience-wise, as the fry die on me days after hatching. :(

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
Here's the plan. Once I feel that the eggs are sustainable I will remove them and place them in a breeder net/box, at the same time I will begin daily water changes on the ten from the main tank. After the fry are a few days old and eating well on their own in the breeder net/box I will then move them to the ten. Does this sound like a good plan?

nguyendetecting

"Swim along with the snorks"
Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
sounds ok if you don't have that many fry. But if you have a lot of fry a breeder won't work that well as it will be hard to keep clean. You could probably leave them all in the breeder until they absorb the yoke sac, but when it's time to feed and clean the breeder I think it will be hard to keep clean. They can probably start eating crushed flake food after a week of bbs/liquid fry food. I usally remove the eggs to a 5/10 and let them hatch in there. It's worked well for me in the past.

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
So forget the breeder if their are many eggs? Would you suggest then just placing the eggs into the ten and letting them hatch from there or letting them hatch into the breeder and then transfer after 3 days in the breeder to the 10?

blissskr

"Who's Barry Badrinath"
Jun 22, 2008
New Hampshire
The only problem with moving the fry when there so young to a big tank is that you'll lose a lot do to starvation the fry need to learn how to eat before you move then to a 5/10 or you'll probably lose a good amount do to starvation at least this is my experience. I always use a breeder net to hatch the eggs out and keep the fry in for awhile. I just recently tried using a glass jar in tank, you can scrape the eggs off with a razor, credit card etc, or just pick them off they're surprisingly hard and you dont have to worry about crushing them by hand. I put the eggs in the jar and then I covered the jar with some panty hose over the top and let them hatch this way. It worked well I just checked each day and removed any unfertile eggs or eggs shells are the fry began to hatch.

ronw007

Breeder
Apr 17, 2007
Woodridge, Illinois
Real Name
Ron
I was supprised that your albino cory's where old enough to breed, that was why I wondered if they where the one's I sold you. They are only about 8 to 9 months in age since they hatched.

Sounds like you have been doing everything correctly to get them to breed. To help you out a little, this is what I do when I want to get my cory's to breed. I place the adults in a seperate tank, bare bones just a heater set to about 80 degree's and a seeded sponge filter. Keep doing everything you have done at this point with the cold water changes and if you can get live blood worms or black worms to feed them. From my experience, they tend to lay there eggs in the morning at first light. Once you notice that there are eggs on the glass, make sure that the female is done laying. As soon as she is done, pull the parents from the tank, that way you don't have to worry about moving the eggs. Use some type of antifugal for the eggs. At about 80 degree's the eggs should hatch within 2 to 3 days. Make sure after the eggs hatch that the water level in the tank is only about 2 inches deep. Feed either very finely crushed up flake or if you have it at the time live BBS. Hope this helps, if you have any other questions, let me know.

blissskr

"Who's Barry Badrinath"
Jun 22, 2008
New Hampshire
The jar goes right in the tank the eggs were laid in, just put in jar put in eggs cover jar and leave in tank check daily to remove fungused eggs and egg shells from hatching eggs.

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
Thanks Ron, I think they really are too young (trial runs for them I think):) They are still very young so who knows. I am going to leave the eggs for now, removing any whites or fungused, and see what happens, if they eat them they eat them. After a few more months I think I may try seriously;) What type of Anti-Fungal do you recommend?

ronw007

Breeder
Apr 17, 2007
Woodridge, Illinois
Real Name
Ron
Believe it or not, the best thing that I have used recently for an antifugal agent is H2O2. As long as most of the eggs are fertile, I get a 80 to 90% hatch rate using this method. I dose at 1 capful per gallon each day until the eggs hatch. I have tried methyl blue and maroxy in the past but with very limited success. I have heard some people use malachite green, but find it difficult to locate in pet stores.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store