My Fake Planted Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
Thanks! If you do buy Rams, try to get them from a reputable source. You want to avoid the Asian strains. You'll usually find those in PetSmart etc. They tend to be weaker and more senesitive from what I've heard, and years ago, I did have some and they did not do very well.

These ones I have now are some of the most colorful I've seen in person in a lfs. The guy I buy from gets his from a breeder in FL.

Misled_Youth

AC Members
Dec 12, 2011
Deerfield, IL
Awesome looking tank! I was just wondering, how do you get your silk plants to stay so spread out like that?

Ghpr1957

AC Members
Sep 28, 2011
Fairdale, KY
Lmouthbass,
I got 20 plants from AquariumPlants.com. 10 Dwarf Rosette swords and 10 Ruby Melon swords. They were excellent plants with roots like trees. There coming along nicely, but I must admit, after seeing your pictures of your tank, your artificial plants look awesome! I think you did a fantastic job with them. It's just beautiful, and very real looking...great job!!! As far as that little Ram goes, he's very handsome and colorful, how big do they get and are they good for a "community" tank?

Ghpr1957:)

LMOUTHBASS

Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
Hey guys - thanks again for the compliments!

Misled Youth: I think the way I get the plants to spread out like that has a little to do with how I "plant" them. When I stick them in the gravel I usually tilt them a little bit one way or another, because nothing in nature grows straight, so why should aquarium plants? Also, I have good filter flow, so the current makes them flow. Also, I actually take my hands and stick my fingers into the base of the plant where all the leaves crop out and I fan them out or forcefully spread the leaves apart. I'll actually sit there rearranging and pulling at the leaves until I get them how I want. I also try to plant them in places that a plant might take root. I've got one planted in between a nook on that log, which looks sort of cool, and a bunch adjacent to the back of the log. I also mix in the sizes and shapes of the plants too. Try to make it look as messy natural as possible. If you look in a pond in the summer, its a tangle of weeds in some places, or in less weedy areas you'll see a clump here and a clump there growing with each other flowing all over the place.

Ghpr1957 - Rams are a Dwarf Cichlid. Like a lot of Dwarf Cichlid types, they're fairly peaceful. You can def keep them in a community type tank. Even with some semi-aggressives, nothing too aggressive, just semi. Like Angelfish, or certain Gouramies. These are German Blue Rams. I think they're one of the most colorful fish in FW. The blue iridescent colors are incredible. One thing to be aware of. There are strains of this fish that come from Asia. I have heard they are not as hardy and more sensitive to water parameters that aren't top notch. I had some Rams years ago that I got from a Petco, that I believe may have been of the Asian strain. They only lived a year or so even under good conditions. The RAms I have now come from my lfs and he gets them from a breeder in FL. So try to track down an independent fish shop and see if they have any/can get any for you from a reputable source.

I'm going to put a few more pics here that came out a little better.
blue angel close up.JPGgood pic tank.JPGgood shot wedge.JPGgreatfishpic.JPGRam.JPG

The first pic, I threw in there because I wanted to show you guys one of the Blue Angels I got. Its the only pic where you can sort of see the colors. The top of his head has a blue-ish hue, and when he's got his fins spread out they're a smokey blue color; very cool. @nd one is another view of the whole tank. 3rd pic, sort of shows what I'm talking about with spreading the plants. If you look closely at the top of the log, you can see I planted the long leafed plant behind the log, but I purposely spread its leaves out and under and through the appendage section of the log. As if the plant spring up there and is growing up and past the log. Also another leafy plant in the fron right corner of the log is growing out from under a corner of the front of the log in a little nook. Just to the right of the small green Sword plant. The I threw a cool shot of my Pearl Gouramie in and another shot of one of my ram's up close. Hope that sort of shows/help show how I try to spread the plants a little bit.

Thanks again for the kind words guys!

Mark

blue angel close up.JPG good pic tank.JPG good shot wedge.JPG greatfishpic.JPG Ram.JPG

LMOUTHBASS

Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
Actually this pic is kind of funny. Look far to the left and you can see a little ram sticking his head out from behind a leaf. And to the far right, you can really see what I was talking about, spreading the plant through the log. I think thats one way I get some of them to open up.
peek a boo.JPG

peek a boo.JPG

LMOUTHBASS

Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
Wow, those fake plants are just amazing! The planted look without the hassle.

Thanks! Yeah I gotta admit its basically hassle free. Live plants are def better, but if you don't have the extra time or $$$ for them then this is the way to go if you want a natural look. Plastic Silk plants. The funny thing too, is as your fakes collect some algae, it actually helps make them look more realistic by adding shades or green and brown along with some texture to the plant. All the tall plants to the back left of my aquarium have a decent amount of green hair algae, but I've left them alone because it looks pretty cool.

I used to do a nice low light Lutea/Sword set up, but replacing bulbs is costly and I was traveling a lot so I went fake for now. But if I'm gonna be fake I still want it to look real. I hope to go planted again real soon though.

Ghpr1957

AC Members
Sep 28, 2011
Fairdale, KY
Thanks! Yeah I gotta admit its basically hassle free. Live plants are def better, but if you don't have the extra time or $$$ for them then this is the way to go if you want a natural look. Plastic Silk plants. The funny thing too, is as your fakes collect some algae, it actually helps make them look more realistic by adding shades or green and brown along with some texture to the plant. All the tall plants to the back left of my aquarium have a decent amount of green hair algae, but I've left them alone because it looks pretty cool.

I used to do a nice low light Lutea/Sword set up, but replacing bulbs is costly and I was traveling a lot so I went fake for now. But if I'm gonna be fake I still want it to look real. I hope to go planted again real soon though.
Mark,
Thanks for your reply on the Ram. I'm diffenitly going to look into them for my new 75gl tank. Also, another nice thing about your artificial plants compare to my live ones, your fish don't eat the hell out of them. I have 3 Silver Dollars that are just munching away on my swords every time I look at my tank. Hopefully with the 75gl I can get a few more variety of some of the cheaper plants and let them chew on those. If that don't work, I might be going the route you took. If I do I'll let you know and then you can travel to Kentucky and "plant" my tank! LOL

Ghpr1957:)

tonergirl

AC Members
Sep 22, 2008
Beautiful fishies and the tank looks GREAT. You'd never know that the plants weren't real, looking at the pic!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store