My foam back ground

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Sometime next week I am going to make a few tweeks to the design, may thrown in a few caves, or just ledges and stuff that I can grow plants in ect.

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Ended up getting another FX5 for this tank. So I took off the whole right side rock thing that hid the intake tubing and will be remodeling that portion of the background to help make the massive FX5 intake strainer and my mods to keep shrimp out of it fit in there.

I think I might start working the new rock formation a little later tonight. I can't wait to get this thing up and running!!

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
knitting canvas can be incorporated into the bottom of your b/g (where it won't be seen) for a pre-strainer and for flow reasons. that or plastic gutter guard, but the gutter guard offers little to no protection for wee little shrimpies.

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
The knitting canvas is actually the exact thing I was thinking of using.

Ran into a bit of a speed bump, I've been sick, fever and throwing up makes it hard to motivate myself to get up and work on this. Really all I've done so far is taken apart the right side of the BG. The right side will come out at an angle I think to allow the FX5 intake to fit snugly and still allow maintenance if needed.

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ

Here is the closest thing to an update I have. Right intake hide was removed. Everywhere you see white on the right side will be removed and angled outward to fit the FX5 intake. Also once everything is in the tank and siliconed in place it will be getting another layer or 2 of quikrete to help cover the cracks and make everything look more uniform.

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
thank you:) I can't wait either! lol. My 50 gallon is stuffed with plants that look like they need a little more space.

When everything moves to the deeper 120 I have a shop light set up and ready to go with 2 plant/aquarium bulbs I am hoping will do ok for lighting.

I really can't wait to get this whole thing up and running! Bigger tank, bigger/better filter, more lighting! More space for the fish and plants! I'm excited lol.

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Some updates

Felt ok enough to do a little work. Reworked the FX5 intake hide. Silicone is still drying so I couldn't take it out to get a decent picture, but it still needs some work and the screen to protect my shrimp from getting sucked up. The glass in pretty dirty in this pic, but it gives you an ok idea of what everything will look like once it's in there:)

And these are the manzanita branches that are subject to be placed in the tank. They still need to be scrubbed to show how nice their color is. They came from an area that unfortunately was hit by a forest fire. I probably wont use all of them because I have some nice pieces in the 50 gallon that will be going in, one of which has anubias and java moss growing on it already.

Also made a little planter that might go on the intake hide. I might have to remake it because I think it's about a 1/4 inch too wide.

Also just a couple accents that will be scattered along the intake hide to give it some depth. I'll probably make a few more of various shapes and sizes so I can see which look best on there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store