My GF's 10gal Reef Log

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Matthew_Machine

Formerly Agent_Embryo
Aug 13, 2003
Oh, I forgot about Aquatic Adventures on Monterey.

But there used to be one on Tank Farm and Broad, in the shopping center. I was just going to mention that I used to have all my fish ordered from them (wouldn't buy from the tank) because I had bad luck with health. I bought lots of supplies from AA because they were very nice and helpful, but their fish never looked healthy either.

Glad to see there are other fishkeepers in SLO! Can't wait to see updates to this tank.

salty420

this fish was coming on to me
Mar 8, 2007
Sugar Grove, IL
Yeah, i agree with you. Maybe you should get a yellow watchman goby with a pistol shrimp later on? They have very awesome personalities and they will pair up(the goby and the pistol shrimp) and will make a tunnel in the sand, its very awesome to watch.
the yellow watchman would grow to big for the 10 gallon tho, the one in my 29 is HUGE!!!!! it would be really pushing it with one in a 10 gallon for the long haul... and with a clown... (JMO)

ooja3k

AC Members
Jul 3, 2007
San Luis Obispo
well now it wouldn't be with a clown at all...

we just lost our other little guy...

thats 2 gone in a week... really disappointing...

i thought we did everything right, i guess not.. this one definitely died from black ich, the question is that he was doing well, i mean swimming well, not eating, kinda lethargic, almost transparent, bright red gills, and a smoky black appearance... but it seems like the second i took him out and gave him a FW dip and then put him in the QT he exponentially worse... i gave him a light treatment, and we left for an hour or so and when we got back he was swimming upside down scraping on the bottom breathing really hard... we took some display water in a little glad thing to see if it was the medicine messing with him... but he passed like 2 minutes later...

we put them in quarantine, and medicated them for something they probably didn't have, and then FW dip them, and them put them in separate QTs, and then deem them both ok, and put them in the display, and then take one sick one out of the display and put him in QT and then he dies, and then see the other get sick a couple days later and then put him in QT and then he dies...

i think they were probably ok from the LFS, but the stress caused by all the tank changes and water changes and hypo, and medicine, and FW dip, is probably what made them vulnerable to disease, and thats ultimately what killed them... in hindsight, if we had just acclimated them correctly and put them in the display, they would probably be fine...

really disappointing...

ooja3k

AC Members
Jul 3, 2007
San Luis Obispo
I am thinking that we, (I), overreacted and probably what was just a little bubble or something on his fin that initially got me all scared of ich... and that started the unnecessary FW dips and medications which caused extreme stress and ultimately death...

SO next time, im just going to out them straight in lol...

ooja3k

AC Members
Jul 3, 2007
San Luis Obispo
Here are a couple pictures with the new lighting! Its an awesome small budget fixture!

well when we got the fixture, and i took the bulbs out to take the plastic covering off and i realized that the actinic one was making a rattling sound.. so i plugged it in before i put it over the tank and i realized that only have of it was working... so i called drsfostersmith and they sent a new bulb immediately free of charge.. so that should be arriving this thurs or friday.

so now only half the actinic bulb is working...

Coral Keeper

AC Members
Aug 24, 2007
West Sacramento, CA
Very nice set up you got there! Sorry to hear about the clown fish. Try getting a Clown Goby? They stay small. They only get about 1 1/2 - 2 inches long. They got tons of personality.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store