my new 10g, thank you AC!!! (many pics)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JDonner

Registered Member
Mar 28, 2007
Am I misisng some pictures, because I can't see why you guys are calling this a great looking tank. :confused:

Sure, it has potential, but he just started, he just put a few starter plants in the substrate. I'm not intentionally trying to be negative, but what's so special about this? :confused:

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
I'm with JDonner, but the tank does look like it's off to a good start, it'll look pretty good once it fills out. Any updated pics?

BTW, did you get that entire setup for just $10, filter, lights and all?

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
the tank is filling out nicely, although I am regretting the cambomba... it's suited more for a deeper, brighter tank I think. it has trippled in numbers via clippings since I planted it, and stretches too much for light... too high maintenance for my intentions. currently, the tank has a green water issue(pre vacation overfeeding), so any updated pics would be useless... but the green water seems to be havign a nice affect on the HC and java moss, which has taken off over the last week... probably stretching for light, but still growing densly. the dwarf sag has nearly doubled in size and numbers on it's own. the marsilea minuta has finally taken and is showing far less (almost none) brown than when planted, I believe it needed to adjust to being submersed, from what I've read. and the cherry barbs have spawned, with at least 2 half inch fry swimming around happily.

my goal is to clear the green water, remove most of the cambomba, and wean the tank off co2.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
oh, and the tank... I got the tank for 10 bucks delivered from a craigslister... had the HOB filter laying around, and actually bought the light new, but got a great price online... the filter sucks and I think is my biggest problem right now. I will be replacing it shortly with a mini canister filter that i have, but I need to cycle it first... the canister filter was free, due to a broken part during shipment on a filter I bought for my 15g paludarium... so I ended up with 2 filters for the price of one.

I can't wait to remove the HOB... what a POS.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
The filter's a Cascade, right? Those are pretty much bottom-of-the-barrel. The fixture is quality though. I used the same model (I'm assuming it's the Satellite) on a nano. What was the broken part on the canister - likely, you could fix it with some DIY/replacement parts.

Do you have access to a Petland Discounts? They sell 10g tanks for $8. Their tank prices are great, good place to look whenever you start a new one.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
yeah, I wish I knew how cheap new tanks were before getting this one, but it was new, just nothing special and no deal.

the 15 tall was another story entirely. I paid 15 bucks and had to walk 25 blocks with it in a torrential downpour, only to find it had salt stains that wouldn't come off... UGH. next time new.

the filter is a cascade. bottom of the barrel, if it's even in the barrel. I really hate it and want to give the kid at the LFS who sold it to me a hard time at some point... he didn't know any better...

was at petland yeszterday and didn't see any small tanks, only 20g and up, but they had 55's for 99 bucks. was the only price I saw listed, besides kits full of junk.

the satellite fixture is awesome, I'd buy another in a heart beat. I switched out the bulb... so I have an extra dual actnic 18" if anyone needs one!!!

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
They usually keep all the tanks in the back/basement/wherever they store them. I can't say much about the fish there, but the tanks (whether it's a AGA or a kit) are bargains.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Instead of the cabomba, you could try some cardamine lyrata. I had some in my old 10g planted tank a few years ago and it looked awesome even when over grown. I wish I still had the pics. I may be able to find them on another forum I posted on a few years ago.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store