My Rabbit and Nerites From MsJ!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
great link lupin. There is so much varied info out there of which all opinions are different on these snails. Its interesting to read in that article (which is pretty much what I observed) that the eggs hatch/dissolve upon leaving the female. I am keeping them int he following parameters and they are very active, eating well, and reproducing: temp 80, ph 8.0, gh 6, kh8, ammo 0, nitrite 0, nitrate under 10. They are eating veggie sticks and blanched zucchini readily. I am sure as more and more people keep these snails, the information available will improve.

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
Well all of the snails are still very active this morning! Yay! Malone the Rabbit has not tried to eat any of the plants I have in the tank so far. Just so everyone knows there is java moss, a crypt wendti, guppy grass, hygro, hornwort, needle leaf jave fern, rotalia (sp), and anachiris (sp). It has cruised all four corners and everywhere in between. It likes the veggie pellets and algae wafer. They will get jello today. The 4 nerites are still working on the glass.

madfox

Mad as in angry or just plain NUTS?
Nov 28, 2008
Just west of Saratoga Springs, NY

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Please tell me these Rabbit Snails burrow! I am so upset right now. My father in law took me to lunch as I am going to have some dental work done this afternoon. When we got back I do my head count of everyone. Malone the Rabbit snail is missing. The tank only has 1" of substrate, 4 rocks and plants in it. So I lifted all of the rocks, checked in between the plants...nope. Took off the hood, not underneath. I pulled the filter apart even though there is a sponge covering the intake I checked the intake tube too, not there. Pulled everything away from the stand, nope. Moved the couch, not under there. I can not find it. I am soo upset. Now I have to get ready to go to the dentist and can't keep looking farther. Please, oh Please, tell me they burrow!!

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Well I am back from getting a tooth pulled and decided to check again before the numbness wore off. Still no sign of it. I feel like sitting down and crying. Where the heck could it have gone!

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
I am going to wait until lights out tonight and go in and look around with a flashlight. Hopefully it just doesn't like the light and is hiding in the substrate. I pulled everything out to just the gravel this evening. If it isn't buried, then it is gone. I don't know, maybe one of the dogs managed to eat it if it made an escape. I am just sick.

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
Every now and then I "lose" a snail only to have it make an appearance days later. I received a very large MTS from msjinkzd which was front and center for days. Suddenly it was gone, and I was sure the female Betta got a hold of it. Today I saw it poking around the substrate in front of the tank. If the rabbits are like MTS, they can burrow pretty deep and still be okay.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store