My redtail catfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Do these fish retain their coloring when they push 3-4ft? I mean does the red/orange colored part fade or does it stay the same? Nice fish by the way :)
My friend has a 4-5 feet RTC in her indoor pond and the colors seem to fade slightly.

dlucas

AC Members
Sep 11, 2007
ohio
I have seen them in person at adult size and they do a great job of keeping their colors. esp their black and white, red fades a bit but mine has never really had a red tail yet anyway.

AnDr3w

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
geesh people I said he is about 2 years because I wasn't sure but I asked my wife how old he was and she said the oldest he would be is 18 months. The didnt grow that fast mainly because he will not eat any pellets, or veggies. He will only eat fish, shrimp, bloodworms.

He has been in the 150 gallon tank since he was little. What are you people trying to insinuate.
Dont get me wrong Im not calling a bad fish keeper. I was just thinking that it is a really slow growth rate on a cat like this. Even if he does only eat fish shrimp and blood worms he should be well over 2 feet.

mcox3

Veritas Aequitas
Dec 26, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I'm going to have to agree with everyone who thinks the fish is being stunted.
I've heard of people growing their RTC's to +26" in 8 months.

What else do you have in the tank?

Remember RTC's produce a ton of waste as they're big eaters and also shed their body mucus.

He will definetly outgrow that tank :headbang2:

rtc2.JPG

Last edited:

dlucas

AC Members
Sep 11, 2007
ohio
Dont get me wrong Im not calling a bad fish keeper. I was just thinking that it is a really slow growth rate on a cat like this. Even if he does only eat fish shrimp and blood worms he should be well over 2 feet.
Well what do you want me to do. I cant force him to grow. What can I do but feed him, do water changes and have enough filtration for a 200 gallon tank.

dlucas

AC Members
Sep 11, 2007
ohio
I'm going to have to agree with everyone who thinks the fish is being stunted.
I've heard of people growing their RTC's to +26" in 8 months.

What else do you have in the tank?

Remember RTC's produce a ton of waste as they're big eaters and also shed their body mucus.

He will definetly outgrow that tank :headbang2:
First of all I know how big he will get. I did the research before I bought him. I am aware that he will outgrow my freakin tank. How many times do you all have to tell me let alone already know myself.

Next time I even think of posting a pic of my fish I will def post it somewhere else. This may be my last post. You all know how to make someone feel welcome on my 15th post. I have been an avid fish keeper for 20 years. This is not my first rodeo and have kept many different types of fish. Dont assume someone is an idiot.

mcox3

Veritas Aequitas
Dec 26, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Whoa... A little defensive?

I dont think anyone here assumes you're an idiot. It just seems strange that the fish only be that size for its age.

The tank is plenty big for him
I might have to sell him if he out grows the tank:(
These statements make make me wonder... its not a matter of IF, but a matter of WHEN.

I believe you did your research and I think its awesome that it will outgrow the tank... thats why I inserted this guy: :headbang2:

I know 150g seems like a lot, but that footprint isnt ideal for this guy.
72x24x20 would work nice.

just my 2 cents...

anyways, welcome to AC and keep us updated!

Last edited:

AnDr3w

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
Jeez man calm down. Nobody assulted you or called you any names. We just read it as we see it. There is a stunted fish, we want to know why. Just relax no one is trying to hurt your feelings.

AnDr3w

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
Whoa... A little defensive?

I dont think anyone here assumes you're an idiot. It just seems strange that the fish only be that size for its age.

These statements make make me wonder... its not a matter of IF, but a matter of WHEN.

I believe you did your research and I think its awesome that it will outgrow the tank... thats why I inserted this guy: :headbang2:

just my 2 cents...

anyways, welcome to AC and keep us updated!
With the growth rate now he might never out grow the tank. LOL.

dlucas

AC Members
Sep 11, 2007
ohio
I agree I wish I had a bigger tank however the tank was purchased 2 years before the fish. I have always kept african cichlids in this tank.

As far as the idiot comment.....really though how many times does it need to be said "he is going to outgrow that tank". and I love this comment "What are you feeding him", give me a break I know how to take care of a fish. He is just a little on the slow side I guess. He wont eat the dry pellets I wish he would. He got spoiled. I have moved since I bought him and he almost died, might of caused the growth stunt, i dont know??
But really why try to find something wrong. Just leave a comment of how nice he does look and leave it alone after the first few comments about his size.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store