My redtail catfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mcox3

Veritas Aequitas
Dec 26, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I wasnt trying to find something wrong. I read your post and it jumped out at me... a healthy 2yr old RTC shouldnt measure 12".

If you wouldve said he's 6 months old and 12" then all of the responses would most likely have been compliments.

I've had my RTC for under 2 months and he's almost doubled in size. He doesnt take pellets either.:confused:

We're just trying to help. Sorry my opinion wasnt what you were looking for.

anyways, good luck to you and the RTC, cant wait till mine is that size.

Last edited:

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
First of all I know how big he will get. I did the research before I bought him. I am aware that he will outgrow my freakin tank. How many times do you all have to tell me let alone already know myself.

Next time I even think of posting a pic of my fish I will def post it somewhere else. This may be my last post. You all know how to make someone feel welcome on my 15th post. I have been an avid fish keeper for 20 years. This is not my first rodeo and have kept many different types of fish. Dont assume someone is an idiot.

Hey, Dl, don't go away! It's not that we're out to get you, even though i know it seems that way. (Good job, guys :( ) As a group, many of us have been here a long time and see fish like the redtail cats, common plecos, kissing gouramis, pacus, and others sold everyday to fishkeepers both new and experienced. Then people show up here a few months later desperately wanting help because their fish is getting too big and they are having aggression, tankmate, fish death, and water quality issues. Not to mention wanting to know why the store sold them an oscar knowing all they had was a 10g tank.

We tend to get a little jumpy about fish care, after all, that's the point of the whole thing. I'm sorry that people jumped on you the way they did. Sometimes the 'brute force' method is the only thing that works when trying to convince someone a fish isn't suitable for their set-up. i'm glad you are one of the few who seem to understand the needs of the monster fish you have. As long as he has room to swim and clean water, you are doing the best you can. you can't force the fish to eat pellets (not in a nice way anyway) and you can't force them to grow. As long as there is room to turn around and no ammonia or nitrites to hurt him, your fish is doing fine.

dlucas

AC Members
Sep 11, 2007
ohio
This fish was actually kinda given to me. The pet store I delt with got him in for someone else and they had no where to go with him. I took him in for a trade on some other fish. Prob paid like 20 bucks when you consider what I traded for him. I dont know what would of happened to him If I didnt take him.

lopezbmx86

AC Members
Aug 28, 2006
He probably would've ended up in a 10g.

Can you post more pictures? He looks great.

dlucas

AC Members
Sep 11, 2007
ohio

he may look a bit larger here in these ^^^

dlucas

AC Members
Sep 11, 2007
ohio
thanks 12 volt, see how full his belly is in the last shot. he ate yesterday and cant lay flat because his belly is so full. lol

elementkid65

gill-less
Jul 3, 2007
where ever i am
wish i had one of those but they get too big for my liking (dont have room for a 500g tank when im 14 yrs old lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store