Mystery Diesease Returns, Help NEEDED!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Checked again, just to make sure. All fish look fine. Swimming around, merry as can be.

I'm just confused now, because I don't want whatever this is to happen again, but I don't know what it is or how to prevent it!

Do you think I should cut back on stock? It doesn't seem overstocked to be, but I could be wrong.

It is 10 gallons, filtered with 2 sponge filters and an AC20. One sponge is rated for 20 gal, the other for 10 or 15. I plan on adding lava rock to increase my biofilter.
It gets WCs weekly, normally, but up to daily lately.
Very lightly planted, only a few stems of rotala and a clump of flame moss.
Stock is 5 peacock gudgeons, from around 1.5 inches to 2 inches. Before the crash, there was also 1 endler fry that was .75 inch, and around 4-5 newborn fry. There are also some trumpet snails.

Should I down the stock? Maybe loose a gudgeon or 2?

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Still deciding if I should down the stock. That would just be hard, because I worked a LOT to get these guys.
I plan to add some lava rock, to aid biological filtration. Also, as gudgeons can miss a lot of food, which I try to clean up but sometimes miss, I am going to get a few amano shrimp. They have a low enough bioload, and I think they will contribute a lot.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
I just can't deal with this happening every 2 weeks. Stressful for me, stressful for the fish. It's gotta be stopped, whatever it is.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
I'm so sorry you and your gudgeons are going through this, Anna. I wish to goodness I knew what the best course would be. This is indeed a puzzle.

I think Jinksie is right, though, it's probably best to just observe them for now, record everything, keep the water pristine, and watch for any changes. I think your idea of adding a few shrimp to scavenge might be helpful.

I wish you could do a gentle scrape of both skin and gills and take a look under a microscope to see if you see any parasites.

I know how frustrating this has to be for you, but without knowing what this is for certain choosing a drug or treatment is pretty much a shot in the dark. It's just so strange that they look terrible, babies die, and then everyone is fine.

See if you can get more photos of them.

To keep records of threads I copy and paste the link onto notepad or works and save as "Columnaris thread - Betta Lucy" or whatever, and keep those in a folder with other threads, artlcles, photos on the topic. You easily can lose track of threads that are informative or noteworthy, so I save the links.

Please keep us posted. We're all with you on this... keep your chin up.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
BMS,
Do you use python or bucket when PWC?

Have you check you tap parameters lately?
Is tap well or city water?
Let's try eliminating possibilities by cutting down the amt you change from 50% to 10-20%. If all goes well for 4 weeks or so , Then increase to 35% for a while and so on.
If such mishap still continues to take place, how about trying the following?

1. Age the tap water (just cold water) for few days with filter (recommend carbon filter) & heater?

2. Boil the cold tap water only (2-3G) and let it cool to proper temp before using.

3. Do you think you can DIY a large distillation appartus?

Think of what other things you can try thus can find the reason behind such mishaps.

I think it is either the tap or methods of water changing rather than diseases!!

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
AHHHHHHH!AHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGGGGG! I'TS BACK!!! WTF!!!!!!!

Okay, I am getting increasingly confused. I feel like I am in the Twilight Zone of fish disease.

Came home today from work, and they have it again. Not too bad yet, but I don't know what to do. I don't know if it's friggin WCs, or a parasite, or a fungus, or a bacteria or just someone cursing me.

I DO have pictures this time. Keep in mind, it's not too bad yet. One fish seems worse than the others.

H-E-L-P!

These are pics of the worst fish.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Lot better pics. Two things popped up in my head.

Google for info on Chilodonella cyprini and /or Oodinium pillularis.

I am thinking former as preferred locations of infections are usually back of the head and dorsal fin if memory serves.

Hopefully it is the former as it is easy to treat and with lower mortality rate than O. pillularis..

LMK if your fish resembles the fish infected by C. cyprini. Few options avail as far as treatment is concerned.

Make sure to isolate/disinfect all the tools (nets, buckets, your hand(?), etc, etc.) used on this tank as C. cyprini can spread easily to other tanks.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I would be tempted to dose haevy on the salt with frequent water changes. I wonder about a salt dip like people use frequently for discus?
I have used it with good result. It obviously responded to the salt you added before.

This stinks! Sorry

Steph

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I really don't think it has anything to do with your water changes. Lots of people do frequent large water chnages.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store