Need help: How to safely transport discus?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bree7

AC Members
May 22, 2010
Test your tap water first, to make sure your PH stays stable. It is best to put it a container with heater and aerator for 24 hours. Test PH before and after. If the ph is stable, you can use your tap water without difficulty. If it is not, you will need to age your water first. You need to heat the water to pretty close to tank temp. A python or something similar is a must. My outside faucet water was nowhere near 86 degrees. Though I am able to use my inside faucet for refilling of tank where I can adjust temp.
Thanks, I hadn't thought about the temperature of the outside water- of course it will be cold! I will have to find a container and heat the water for a day ahead of time. I'll use the air pump too. Sounds good. Thank you :)

And Ponderingky- I do have a python, but the tank is nowhere near a faucet other than the one outside.

DiscusOnly

AC Members
May 10, 2009
Know your water. I find it safer to use product such as seachem safe or prime to take out the chlorine. I use straight tap water for my water change and I do as much as 80% in some of my tanks.

If you are going to use straigh tap water without aging, there is no way you are going to get the right temperature unless you mix with your hot water. It's perfectly fine to do so as well. I use a mixing valve on my faucet so water comes out around 84-85 degree.

Not only should you change the water and suction off the waste. You should wipe your tank down when you do your water changes. Depending on your feeding schedule, types of food and bio load, you may be able to do 50%-60% wc every other day. My recommendation is to over do your water change in the beginning without stressing discus. Scale back as you figure out your schedule.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Bree7
good luck hope you enjoy the fruits of your labors.
FYI, I noticed you were setting the temp to 83f?
this may be a bit cool for Discus Juvies.

you may want to consider increase to 86.

one thing about discus.. they tend to show stress easily. they lose color and darken..
they will prob do this for a few days after you get them..
lots of sound advice mentioned

Bree7

AC Members
May 22, 2010
Bree7
good luck hope you enjoy the fruits of your labors.
FYI, I noticed you were setting the temp to 83f?
this may be a bit cool for Discus Juvies.

you may want to consider increase to 86.

one thing about discus.. they tend to show stress easily. they lose color and darken..
they will prob do this for a few days after you get them..
lots of sound advice mentioned
Actually, I meant 85, but 85-86, I plan to be around there.

So I found the discus I want from Discus Hans, and I thought I'd get some input.

These are the six I plan to buy:

• 1 blue/cobalt
  • 1 red scribblet
  • 1 pigeon blood
  • 1 blue pigeon blood
  • 1 marlboro red
  • 1 flachen
and the total is $234 (this includes shipping, which was pretty pricey.)
Considering the amazing quality that Hans holds, I figure this will end up being a pretty good deal in the long run. My other plan would be to spend $160 on the 6 discus out of town which are nowhere near Discus Hans quality.

I figure that ordering from Hans instead of from the fish store will help eliminate stress and I'll end up with more healthy fish.

Has anyone here had experience ordering from Hans, and is this what you would reccomend?

Thanks again for ALL of your help guys- I definitely came to the right place :)

-Bree

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I would personally go with someone like Hans for the quality. I know from what I have read on Simplydiscus, his packing and shipping is excellent. In my opinion, with any fish, not just Discus, it is always good to go with quality stock. Stendkers are quality.

Bree7

AC Members
May 22, 2010
I would personally go with someone like Hans for the quality. I know from what I have read on Simplydiscus, his packing and shipping is excellent. In my opinion, with any fish, not just Discus, it is always good to go with quality stock. Stendkers are quality.

That's my thought. I suppose I will get what I pay for!
I'll either do Hans or Kenny from SimplyDiscus.com

DiscusOnly

AC Members
May 10, 2009
Actually, I meant 85, but 85-86, I plan to be around there.

These are the six I plan to buy:

• 1 blue/cobalt
  • 1 red scribblet
  • 1 pigeon blood
  • 1 blue pigeon blood
  • 1 marlboro red
  • 1 flachen
Why such variety. I personally think you will be better off getting 2 of 3 different strains or 3 or 2 strains.

for example:

3 red scriblet
3 ss pigeon

or

2 red scriblet
2 ss pigeon
2 flachen

As for ordering from Hans, I've only gotten his discus in person. I am lucky enough to be a few hours driving disctance so I go there to pick them out myself. It's like a kid being in a candy store.

Kenny is also very good to deal with. He specializes in Asian import so if you looking for albino, he is the guy to go to.

Hope that helps.

Van

Bree7

AC Members
May 22, 2010
Why such variety. I personally think you will be better off getting 2 of 3 different strains or 3 or 2 strains.

for example:

3 red scriblet
3 ss pigeon

or

2 red scriblet
2 ss pigeon
2 flachen

As for ordering from Hans, I've only gotten his discus in person. I am lucky enough to be a few hours driving disctance so I go there to pick them out myself. It's like a kid being in a candy store.

Kenny is also very good to deal with. He specializes in Asian import so if you looking for albino, he is the guy to go to.

Hope that helps.

Van

I guess it's just my personal preference. I really like a lot of color and variety. I don't really want duplicates, I want them all to be different. Is there a reason you suggest I get less variety or is that just your personal preference?

No kidding, I'm pretty sure if I visited Hans my wallet would explode. I'd never leave empty handed- that's for sure!

Kenny has an insane June shipment and some killer albinos. Not sure what I'll do yet.

Thanks for all the advice!

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
If you want Kenny's you better order fast. His shipments almost always sell out.

DiscusOnly

AC Members
May 10, 2009
It's a personal preference. These may be domestic discus but having 1 of each color strains just doesn't look natural. Discus are usually in group. A group of different strain, never less different color just doesn't look natural. Again, it's a personal preference.

Now from a future paring reason. Just in case you may want to breed them in the future, having 3 of the same strain gives you a good chance of getting a pair of the same. Not a guarantee cause you may get all 3 male or all 3 female but it would be better than having 2 different strains pair up. Some strains can pair up fine but it get's tricky.

Also another thing to consider is that some discus strain are better with certain food than others. A lot of the food out there have color enhancer in them, especially for red discus. You don't want to feed them to blue discus.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store