need tips on marine life.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

clare bear

AC Members
Apr 3, 2007
bedford, bedfordshire
hi

i have
x1 t5 marine blue 420 actinic, 24w, 22" (made by arcadia)
x1 t5 marine white 14.000k lamp, 24w, 22" (made by arcadia)
(secumfrence of both ar 16mm)

x1 Zoo Med Ocean Sun 10,000K Bulb, 17w, 24"
x1 zoo med coral sun actinic 420, 24" (i would the wattage was the same as white one)

its hard work some times cos one shop tells me one thing and another shop tells me another, than i find out they both dont no what there talking about.
do you ever get this?

its like being in a whirl pool.

thanks clare :rolleyes:

Mar 29, 2007
ok you have 48 watts around if you have two fixtures and both with bulbs on it, add a 250 watt MH light and keep the T5 but have 2 blue actinic bulbs then your spot on, if 250 watts is out of your price range you could use the 150 watt fixture. DIY saves tons of money on MH lights. As for the coral, unless you return it now you will need to get the MH light within the next say 24-48 hours or risk it dying. Return it and ask them to take care of it while you set up your light, then when your ready go back and get the coral from them. Make sure you acclimate as well

clare bear

AC Members
Apr 3, 2007
bedford, bedfordshire
hi musho

i have 2 fixings for the origanal standerd juwel marine starter unit, which is fitted to the tank, as standerd. i brought the other t5 starter unit as an added extra, which with the 2 t5 bulbs i just cliped on to the other 2 standerd bulbs.
im not to sure where i could stick another bulb as you sagested, any thoughts?

here is a pic for a ruff idea ( the tank lids are off in the pic, so you can see bulbs.

also i found out what the juwel standerd marine lighting wattage adds up to, and its 34w beetween them, add the t5 bulb wattage, totals of 82 watts.
what do you sagest for lighting needs as i have more watts than first thought?

sorry if im being confusing amd if im asking to many questions.

hanks clare. :confused:
http://img265.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pict0001od4.jpg
http://img265.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pict0001od4.jpg

Mar 29, 2007
Metal halide isnt like those tubes, its like an oversized incandescent lamp. moving some things around and you could fit one 150 or 250, maybe put it in the back and have the high light corals in the back and the low light corals in the front, would look nice

clare bear

AC Members
Apr 3, 2007
bedford, bedfordshire
hi, again,

that sounds great but
how long are the 150 or 250 watt t5 bulbs? because if there any bigger than 24" it wont fit in my tank, also do i need another starter unit for the light your suggesting.

also what make is the bulbs your talking about? so i can look one up on internet, for prices

thanks clare :dance2:

Mar 29, 2007

clare bear

AC Members
Apr 3, 2007
bedford, bedfordshire
the first link lookes good, ill have to find out how much it is in english pound though. if i brought that ill have a total of 232 watts.

dose it cost a lot to change bulbs on metal haloids?

my tank has a bit of a lip, do you think the clip on haloid light wiil fit on my tank.

also what is this diy thing you were talking about, iv never herd of it.
is there a link so i can see what you mean.

thanks for being so helpfull, your a dimond.

clare :confused:

Mar 29, 2007
DIY is just do it yourself, you just buy the things you need separatly and build it all together yourself, can take a while but it saves lots of money.

I think the last one is cheaper than the first one. The clip on is ajustable im pretty sure so you can fit it on your tank.

clare bear

AC Members
Apr 3, 2007
bedford, bedfordshire
hi

sorry i must sound thick. i know what diy means, i just never hert it in a confasation about aquariums before.

'you lere somthink new every day' :)

i will probably go with the first one, because its the best one for looks out of the 3. ill need to save for a bit.

do you think they would send it to england.
i tryed looking for one the same in uk, and had no luck.

clare

m007

m007
Jan 4, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Hey there, I hate to say it but those t5s are taking up alot of space in return for not enough lighting. Corner tanks are a challenge as standard fixtures won't rest on the top of the tank. I've been thinking about a large corner tank but run into the same issues with currently available lighting. Most people use a MH pendant lamp. Fairly simple to set up. The lamp hangs from the ceiling above your tank. Pendants are available in 150/250/400W. In your case a 250W MH would be fine. Here is a link to information on a pendant MH light. http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/l-mh-hoodp2.php?product_ID=pfo-hp8q2 You can choose which ballast and bulb you would like/afford. If you are not sure send an e-mail to this retailer and they will figure it out for you. If you prefer a clamp on fixture here is a link to that type of fixture. http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/l-mh-pene.php?product_ID=MH-CPENA20 The lamp clamps on to the back of the tank and will fit tanks with the plastic strip around the top. In your case I would buy two and mount them on the sides of your tank that extend from the front to the point at the back. The neck on the lamps are fully adjustable for height and extension. Although the lamps are only 150W, two together would give you 300W and you would be set to go. The lamps are shipped with 14000K bulbs and as I posted earlier work the best. I use this type of lamp on my tank and I am very pleased. Easy set up. No drilling required or ceiling install required. The lamps come complete with everything you need. The retailer links I have provided sell these lights for $300.00 Canadian dollars which works out to about 140 Pounds each. I have made several purchases through them and have been pleased with their service. My only concern would be the voltage in Britain vs. North America. We run 110V three prong grounded plugs. Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store