need tips on marine life.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Mar 29, 2007
getting shipment would cost a lot of money, are there any UK online distributors?

m007

m007
Jan 4, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Good point. The brand identification of the clamp on lights is: Coralife AquaLight Pro Metal Halide HQI Clamp-On Pendant 150W. I'm sure there are reseller who could hook you up with this product. BTW, if you have glass tops on your tank I would remove them. They tend to hinder proper air exchange and help to build unwanted heat.

Mar 29, 2007
glass tops also block out a bit of the light so you might not be getting what you expect

clare bear

AC Members
Apr 3, 2007
bedford, bedfordshire
getting shipment would cost a lot of money, are there any UK online distributors?

hi,

i just phoned my local aquatics shop, he sorted me out with the t5 lighting unit and bulbs.
when i asked him if he could get hold of halide klip on lighting units, he said yes,
but he dont recomend it, he said germans are way a head than america and englend, as far as marine fish keeping go's, and he was told that the germans are recomending just recently for marine keepers to not use halid lighting units.
reason being, is halid lighting is like a microwave, it basicly heats the corals up from the inside, and it makes them to hot.
he said thay have sagessted people to start using the t5 tubes in clusters to make up for the wattage.

im not to sure what to think on this, so im going to investigate, and try to find somethink on the net to confirm wether this is true.

clare :huh:

Mar 29, 2007
that doesnt make any sense, microwaves only heat up from the inside from using microwaves of radiation, halides dont have microwaves emiting from it therefor cant get inside of the coral to heat it up. And plus, the sun uses radioactive rays which also heats up a coral the same way a microwave does but in a much lower radioactive way. Also halides work similar to flourecents, the electricity heats up a filament filled with special metals causing a lot of light and heat but no radiation, in flourecents the electricity heats up murcury and burns metals.

If halides internally burn corals, why do millions of people still use it. THe lfs probably just wants you to buy lots of t5 tubes to get 150 watts rather than getting an MH lamp.

If MH lights were radio-active, i think most governments would ban them incase of lukemia and low sperm count in men.

Last edited:

Germanman

My fish are my babies
hi,

i just phoned my local aquatics shop, he sorted me out with the t5 lighting unit and bulbs.
when i asked him if he could get hold of halide klip on lighting units, he said yes,
but he dont recomend it, he said germans are way a head than america and englend, as far as marine fish keeping go's, and he was told that the germans are recomending just recently for marine keepers to not use halid lighting units.
reason being, is halid lighting is like a microwave, it basicly heats the corals up from the inside, and it makes them to hot.
he said thay have sagessted people to start using the t5 tubes in clusters to make up for the wattage.

im not to sure what to think on this, so im going to investigate, and try to find somethink on the net to confirm wether this is true.

clare :huh:
that bit on the halides is a load of....yea and whats the bit about the Germans u know im from America right? as for halides they are the best spectrum for corals and dont emit much microwaves at all, if any really, ur LFS need to pick up some books and read. always do the research for urself they lie a lot to not look stupid.:read:

Mar 29, 2007
that bit on the halides is a load of....yea and whats the bit about the Germans u know im from America right? as for halides they are the best spectrum for corals and do emit much microwaves at all ur LFS need to pick up some books and read. always do the research fro urself they lie a lot to not look stupid.:read:
kinda hard to understand what your saying.... do emit much microwaves at all?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store