Neighbor keeps dog tied up outside 24/7

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

samsmom

samsmom
Apr 10, 2007
Didsbury, Alberta-north of Calgary
Spoiled dogs, yeah, my Newf puppy, (125 lbs and growing ) and my Golden retriever have us VERY well trained, one bark means outside, 2 barks means let me in, 3 barks means get off my sofa or and don't forget the race every night to see who gets the best side of the bed, (they get the middle) It hurts to kn ow so many people just don't get the joy of being a pack member, the love of a good dog is all accepting. My boys have a 1/2 acre backyard to run in with a dugout pond up the road to be taken to for a swim and of course a small wading pool for cooling in the back yard. Never have been without a dog, a kid or my husband. What would life be like??? Vacumming only once a week, clothes without dog hair, a king size bed to myself, vacations, martinis with friends, no weekend poopscooping, a clean house, ahhh sounds,,,,, sounds,,,,,,, sounds **** boring lol

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
This is the letter I wrote my neighbor who keeps the dog tied up in the yard 24/7.

Dear neighbor,
It has come to my attention that your dog is left outside for long periods of time. There no such thing as an "outside dog." Dogs get bored and lonely quickly when kept outside over long periods of time. Trolleys can help and are better then a chain or a rope, but a dog that is outside most of its life, dose not live a very happy one. Dogs are pack animals, this makes them very social. They prefer to be inside the house with their pack, the human family that owns them. It is important to make your dog feel loved by keeping it indoors with the pack. Your dog is living, breathing, and can suffer as much as a human from, neglect. Please consider giving him the love and attention he needs.
From October 2003 to July 2004, 15 children have been badly injured or killed by "outside dogs". This is because the dog was not being socialized with by the humans that own it. With "Outside dogs" there is more then just a dog’s wellbeing at stake. Your children and your neighbor’s children can fall victim of a neglected dog. "Outside dogs" also have a tendency to get loose and roam the streets. The dog could easily get hit by a car, especially if it is a small dog. Please consider having your dog being part of the pack inside your house.

I also gave then these poems. PDF warning.
http://www.unchainyourdog.org/documents/ChainedDogPoems.pdf

you should do some research before you liken dogs that are kept outside to dogs that are mistreated and neglected. I've never let any of my dogs live in my house, and they were all very happy. It's one thing to tie your dog up and leave it outside with no attention, and a completely other thing to have a dog live outside and pay plenty of attention to it. I suggest you realize this difference before someone who feels more strongly than I comments on it.

personally delivering something to someone else's mailbox using non-postal service methods is a federal felony. you're lucky you didn't get reported for it.

other than that, yeah.. leaving your dog tethered outside with no shelter 24/7 IS wrong. at least give them some shelter, and play with them, but to preach that dogs must be kept inside to be happy is rather narrowminded IMO.

Jessu

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
you should do some research before you liken dogs that are kept outside to dogs that are mistreated and neglected. I've never let any of my dogs live in my house, and they were all very happy. It's one thing to tie your dog up and leave it outside with no attention, and a completely other thing to have a dog live outside and pay plenty of attention to it. I suggest you realize this difference before someone who feels more strongly than I comments on it.

personally delivering something to someone else's mailbox using non-postal service methods is a federal felony. you're lucky you didn't get reported for it.

other than that, yeah.. leaving your dog tethered outside with no shelter 24/7 IS wrong. at least give them some shelter, and play with them, but to preach that dogs must be kept inside to be happy is rather narrowminded IMO.

I did do research. I pass that house a few times a day. I see newspapers gather for a few days when they go away with the dog still there and I checked out these sites.
http://www.unchainyourdog.org/
http://www.dogsdeservebetter.com/

They did not treat the dog like you did. The dog was mistreated and neglected. It was tied to a tree 24/7 rain or shine. It would also get loose and run the streets. The people around where I live speed. I am a more careful driver had have came close to hitting it. It runs right for the wheels and sits in the middle of the street. I didn't have my name or anything on it so I'm not going to get reported. Even if they saw me do it, they don't know my name. People around me stick un-mailed stuff in mail boxes all the time. It did not have shelter. It seemed they would even go on vacation and leave it tied out there. There are some people in this world that thing that dogs are outside creatures and it is perfectly humane to leave them out with no human contact or shelter. It blows my mind but there are people like that.

The dog now has a dog house and bed with toys. So far it seems to be kept inside more also. When its outside its on a trolley.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I just put something in it. I think thats legal.

The dog was inside today. Its so nice to see it out of the rain.
Yesterday was a nice day. I saw it outside. It only seemed to be out for a few hours. I passed the house a few times on errands.

Seems the letter and poems worked. I hope it lasts.
That is illegal in all states. Federal Law. Only properly postage paid items can go there and only by US postal service employees.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
I did do research. I pass that house a few times a day. I see newspapers gather for a few days when they go away with the dog still there and I checked out these sites.
http://www.unchainyourdog.org/
http://www.dogsdeservebetter.com/

They did not treat the dog like you did. The dog was mistreated and neglected. It was tied to a tree 24/7 rain or shine. It would also get loose and run the streets. The people around where I live speed. I am a more careful driver had have came close to hitting it. It runs right for the wheels and sits in the middle of the street. I didn't have my name or anything on it so I'm not going to get reported. Even if they saw me do it, they don't know my name. People around me stick un-mailed stuff in mail boxes all the time. It did not have shelter. It seemed they would even go on vacation and leave it tied out there. There are some people in this world that thing that dogs are outside creatures and it is perfectly humane to leave them out with no human contact or shelter. It blows my mind but there are people like that.

The dog now has a dog house and bed with toys. So far it seems to be kept inside more also. When its outside its on a trolley.

exactly my point, which takes me back to the first post where you wrote that it was important to keep your dog inside the dwelling in order for to be happy, and that there is 'no such thing as an "outside dog"'. Dogs are perfectly capable physically and mentally of being kept outside, nature engineered them for outdoors life, did it not? I just didnt like being an owner of 'outside dogs' and getting tossed into the same category as dog owners such as your neighbors.

Jessu

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
I wouldn't call you an owner of 'outside dogs'. The word as a negative meaning, you take care of your dogs. Around here it is used for a dog that is kept outside inhumanely.

tepelus

AC Members
Dec 31, 2006
Fremont, Oh
not all breeds of dogs though can be kept outside all the time...example being greyhounds, they have little to no body fat and will either freeze to death in winter or die from heat exhaustion if they are left out without a cool retreat....of course, no dog should be left outside in the heat of summer without fresh water food and shade, but not all dogs are capable of living outdoors all the time.

Mar 29, 2007
what a stupid law.... We got some wierd laws here in the US, i agree about a dog being able to be left outside 24/7 with shelter, food, water and love and care, i mean they dont build log cabins in the wild.....

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Yes, but our domesticated pets are far from a wild species of dog.

Mar 29, 2007
they still have a natural way to survive in the wild on there own without our help, domesticated or not, ferrets cant since they have been very domesticated, but dogs can.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store