New 29g Build Log

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WinnipegDragon

AC Members
Apr 9, 2007
Oh boo-urns. My retro kit is missing two endcaps. GRRRR!!!

I'm on hold until those get here... *sigh*

WinnipegDragon

AC Members
Apr 9, 2007
Yay, just got a shipping confirmation on my ferts from Rex, and the endcaps shipped yesterday.

I'm thinking of getting my plants from AquariumPlants.com since their Canadian shipping hub is here in Winnipeg and that means cheap shipping. Anyone have experience with them?

WinnipegDragon

AC Members
Apr 9, 2007
No response? Oh well, I ordered anyhow. Patience is not my strongest point.

The plant list is:

10 x Corkscrew Vals (Vallisneria Americana) - this is for the background
10 x Wideleaf Sagittaria (Sagittaria Platyphylla) - generic spot filler
2 x Gracilis (Anubias Gracilis) - will go on a driftwood centerpiece
Red Tiger Lotus (Nymphaea Zenkeri) - love these plants probably will be the centerpiece plant
Red Melon Sword (Echinodorus Barthii v. "Red Melon") - this one will hopefully hide the Hagen CO2 ladder
Rosette Sword (Parviflorus v. Tropica) - back corner
Green Temple Narrow Hygro (Hygro Corombosa) - hopefully will cover the area around the canister inlet
Watersprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides) - to be left floating

Should be densely planted, but I don't want a carpet since I plan to have a small school of Corys in the tank.

Fish stock list as of now is:

4-6 Sunburst Platys
3 or 4 Otos
6-8 Corys (not sure which at the moment)
1-2 Apistos or Rams

Comments or concerns?

crazycanuck

The quitter never wins
Mar 10, 2008
ontario,canada
hey sounds like its gonna be a nice tank.. post some pics!! :)

WinnipegDragon

AC Members
Apr 9, 2007
I will as soon as my lights, plants, and ferts get here :)

WinnipegDragon

AC Members
Apr 9, 2007
Lights are in!

The new endcaps came tonight, and I could hardly contain myself.

So, I got some work in on the tank tonight. First of all, I finally found my centrepiece driftwood. It's soaking right now (and leeching a ton of tannins) but it will be ready to go by the time my plants get here. Unfortunately, the plants won't be here until the first week of April. Boo.

It should stand roughly like that, with the Anubias growing on the spire, and the Lotus at the base.

Now on to the lights. Looks like I have some wiring to do:

The kit is a bid annoying, since there is no template or anything for mounting the endcaps. You have to put the bulb in, mark your spots and then mount them that way. Screws are not included of course. :mad2:

I think I'm going to have some wire management to do...

Once the caps are on, you just snap the reflector to the bulb, get the waterproof caps ready and put them in.

I hooked these up to a GFCI the first time since I'm slightly paranoid about working with electricity, but they fired up fine. These puppies are *bright*.

And finally, here they are on the tank with some white PVC elbows tossed in to give you an idea of the brightness in the tank. This is taken without a flash.

I plan to mount the ballast inside the stand on bottom of the top panel, hanging upside-down basically. This should keep it as dry as possible.

Once that's done, the next project is a DIY ABS and slate cave/rockpile so that the Rams/Apistos can have a territory of their own.

WinnipegDragon

AC Members
Apr 9, 2007
Excellent score on the driftwood, find it at an LFS?
Yeah, at Petland, which is sort of the Canadian equivalent to Petco. I was only there looking for rabbit pellet, and I wandered over to the fish section (which I usually avoid).

It was sitting on top of the pile, and it was a reasonable $30. I couldn't say no :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store