New 29g Build Log

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WinnipegDragon

AC Members
Apr 9, 2007
We have guests tonight, but I am hoping to rinse the Flourite and get it in the tank tomorrow, hook up the canister, and start cycling the tank empty.

WinnipegDragon

AC Members
Apr 9, 2007
ABS/Slate DIY Cave

This is the first time I have attempted something like this, but I wanted to make a nice cave for the Apistos/Rams.

Here's the starting materials:

12x12 slate tile from Home Depot, some black silicone, a hammer and a 3-way ABS pipe fitting. I wanted to hide the ABS fairly well, and I plan on burying it partway into the sand for stability and camouflage.

Step one was the fun part. BREAK IT BREAK IT BREAK IT BWAHHAHAHAHA!!!

I found it tricky to make small pieces, the hammer just pulverized anything smaller than, say, three or four inches a side. As such, this thing turned out to be huge. It should not look insanely big since it will be next to the driftwood which is really massive.

I also didn't really get the ABS covered from the front perfectly, but it's not too bad depending on the angle you see it from.

Anyhow here is the final product, which is currently curing in the basement:

And from a lower perspective:

So, how does it look?

WinnipegDragon

AC Members
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not honestly sure I'm going to use it. I want a 'natural' looking cave, but I've still haven't seen a DIY or purchased 'cave' that looks like it belongs in a natural setting. Some resin driftwood stump-style decorations are close, but they are never quite right.

I'll try it in the tank when I get to cycling (soon I hope) and I'll pair it up with the driftwood and see how it looks. I'll decide then.

The advantage of DIY is that this was only about $6 of material, tops, so if I don't use it, it's not much of a loss.

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
So, my thought was to try doing it without the pvc. I think you could figuire out a way to use the pvc as a mold, but remove aftewords. Additionally, I think you could just build one with no mold. My thought is, the PVC space may be a little large. I find they like to be in smaller spaces.

Reddog80p

Permanently Dechlor'd
Nov 18, 2006
Looks good. The only thing I'd be worried about the sharpness of the broken tile, as a passing by fish could cut themselves on it.

RobertW

Arctic Ice Fish
Jan 25, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
hmmm I like the way it looks... I'd watch out for potential poke/scrape points like reddog said... maybe you could use something else for a mold... like maybe tissue paper... then run water through it to remove the paper... i dunno thats just the first thing that poops into my head everything looks really good though... especially the hood/canopy...

WinnipegDragon

AC Members
Apr 9, 2007
As for sharp edges and points, I took a broad flat-head screwdriver and ground off any edge or point that felt in any way sharp to my finger. To be honest, I didn't expect that it would split exactly like it did, so I did a lot of work with the screwdriver.

The way it's designed, I probably could cut away a little of the silicone and remove the ABS entirely. I'm not sure the structure would hold up though. Once the silicone has cured tomorrow night, I'll see how it's holding together with the ABS before I go any further.

As for the size, that's 2" ABS. Is that too big for SA cichlids?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store