new 36X12 37gal project...finished!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bahney

AC Members
Feb 17, 2007
Hull, Yorkshire, England
the glass is 10mm and the tank is so heavy i can hardly lift it, lol

the guy i got it from had it hand made a couple of years ago and wanted the glass thick so he could put a lot of rocks in it.

i am not to sure how strong it is though some of the sealant seems to have algae underneath the outer edge which is not a good sign, but i have had the tank full for a couple of days and it never leaked, and it was being used up until just a few weeks ago so i am not too worried about that i suppose.

816johnv

AC Members
Feb 27, 2007
very nice another excellent project in the making by Budget Bahney cant wait to see it finished it should be excellent if it is anything like your last project..

Bahney

AC Members
Feb 17, 2007
Hull, Yorkshire, England
Budget Bahney cant wait to see it finished it should be excellent if it is anything like your last project..

I like the Budget Bahney, lol

suppose it makes me look like a tight git but i just dont agree with paying £400 for a tank and stand when there are so many excelent second hand ones out there from people that did spend £400 and dident realise how time consumeing this hobby can be.

and i like to set myself targets :) the target for this build is £50 i am doing pretty good so far

£7 worth of wood
paint was free
tank free
filter free
lights free
heater free
powerhead free

i have some free polystyrere for the 3d background that i got off a friend as well :) so hopefully after buying new filter media/cement/sand/drift wood i will come in under £50

plants are easy, my 2ft tank is growing them like mad, i can easilly take cuttings out of there.

i want to breed some kind of plec, i have almost decided on golden BN or leopard plec's L134's i want the tank quite sparcley planted mainly java moss and fern with some corkscrew viallis there will be pleanty of caves and a nice piece of feature driftwood in the tank, maybe 2 or 3 types to give a contrast of colours/textures but who knows...i suppose it all boils down to what ever i can get my hands on FOR FREE!!!! lol

i hope projects like this inspire people to think that with some time, a bit of creativity and a nose for a bargain you can do projects like this for almost no money at all.

Bahney

AC Members
Feb 17, 2007
Hull, Yorkshire, England
Stage two.......

a terrible pic i know but i wont have a decent camera until next week sometime. i should have done this last weekend but i had problems with my car and a few other things i needed to get sorted so i did not have the time.

anyway today i have half the background mocked up, i am pretty pleased with how it has gone. it took me about 2 hours but a good 45min of that was just trying things and making different shapes and seeing what i liked and didn't like.

there is a cave in this side as well as a small area for the power head to go which will be powering my under gravel jets.

once again sorry for the pic i will take a better one when i can. i will be finishing it off tomorrow and i hope to have the cement on in the next few days (probably Monday)

i am thinking of going down to the beach and picking up some sand to go in the tank, is this a good idea? i thought the salt in the sand would help with the amount of times i have to do a water change as well....any thoughts?

CAC5Q389.jpg

Bahney

AC Members
Feb 17, 2007
Hull, Yorkshire, England
SOME BETTER PICS

it took a while but i have managed to incorporate the filter into the background, it all looks a bit basic at the minute but once the cement is in it will all start to come together....i hope, lol

P6252751.JPG P6252753.JPG P6252755.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store