New 75G Up and running

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
This is what I've decided on after considerable research. These stocking lists are what I hope to gradually add to this tank over time and is the max I plan to put in a 75g.

Let me know if there are any overstocking or compatibility issues that anyone, with more experience than myself, sees. Especially concerning the crabs and shrimps.

FISH:
3 blue/green chromis
2 Kauderni Cardinalfish
2 Pajama Cardinalfish
1 flame angel (or) coral beauty
1 ocellaris clownfish and 1 maroon clownfish (will these 2 clowns get along?)
1 royal gramma
1 purple firefish
1 colored sailfin blenny
1 Black Barred Convict (circus) Goby
1 Longfin Bannerfish
1 blue regal tang (or) kole tang
*15 fish total...too many? Most stay pretty small, but territory could be an issue.

Inverts:
2 Dwarf Yellow Tip Hermit Crabs
2 Dwarf Red Tip Hermit Crabs
2 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs
2 Dwarf Zebra Hermit Crabs
1 Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab
1 Electric Blue Hermit Crab

1 Strawberry Crab
1 Porcelain Crab
1 Sally Lightfoot Crab
2 Emerald Mithrax Crabs

1 Red Banded Pistol Shrimp
1 Banded Coral Shrimp, Yellow
2 Peppermint Shrimp

5 Nerite Snails
5 Zebra Turbo Snails
5 Cerith Snails
5 Nassarius Snails

1 Red Sea Star (?) maybe eventually.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Actually, after further research I've decided to shave my stocking list a bit and decided on a few different species...but taking into account my indecision, I'll probably change this list again. :rolleyes: But that's ok, the tank still has plenty of time yet to finish cycling.
The LR will arrive on the 12th and I plan to add 20 more pounds of sand, as well.

Anyway, this is my revised list. Feel free to give any advice regarding the livestock selections.

FISH
1 Flame Angel
1 ocellaris clownfish
1 Bicolor blenny
1 royal gramma
1 Yellow watchman goby
1 blue regal tang
1 Sixline wrasse
1 Huchtii Anthias
1 Golden Butterfly
3 Blue Reef Chromis

INVERTS
7 Dwarf Blue-Leg Hermit Crabs
1 Emerald Mithrax Crab
1 Red Banded Pistol Shrimp
2-4 Peppermint Shrimp
10 Nerite Snails
10 Zebra Turbo Snails
5 Super Tongan Nassarius Snails
1 Pin-cushion Urchin, Blue Tuxedo

I should have researched my skimmers before buying the Seaclone. I may try to mod it, otherwise I'll be buying something better when the funds are available. What a PITA piece of crap.
At least I've added a Koralia 3 powerhead to the mix as well as adding an extra T5 light fixture to my setup.

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Sorry about your skimmer. It sucks buying new aquarium supplies and having them not work up to par.

I like your new list. A couple things to consider...are you planning on eventually having a reef? Just asking because butterflies are typically not reef friendly and will pick at certain corals.

Also, how about 2 clowns? :D

Lastly, I have an anthias and she was super hard to get eating at first. Just wanted to give you a heads up on that as I keep reading that's pretty typical for them. I'd definitely make sure the LFS feeds it in front of you. Adds awesome color to your tank though!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Thanks for the reply. I am considering turning this into a low-med light reef 228W (T5/NO fluorescent mix.) I'm also thinking of mushrooms (3X Liveaquaria's nano mushroom pack), sun corals, ricordea, elegance, and plate corals. Enough light? I'll upgrade the lighting more if necessary.

From what I've read about the Golden Butterfly (Chaetodon semilarvatus), is that it's one of the most reef-friendly of the butterflies; though it does pose some risk. Would it be a risk to any of the corals I've listed?

I'll definitely consider 2 clowns if this tank isn't already considered at it's stocking limit. It's pretty close. I could replace one of the other fish selections for a second clown, however. ;)

Last edited:

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Thanks. :)

If the Golden Butterfly isn't safe with those corals I could always go with a Longfin Bannerfish, (Heniochus Butterfly)...it's mainly a zooplankton feeder.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Here's one last shot of the tank before the LR arrives. (hopefully tomorrow)
The tank is over 2 weeks into the cycle. Ammonia levels have been holding pretty steady at around 2ppm and no nitrites or nitrates yet. No algae of any kind has begun to form yet either, and the lights are on 10 hrs/day. I've been cycling the tank with bait squid so far. The live rock and 20 more pounds of live sand should get the cycle moving in the right direction. I'll take pics of the rock (out of box) and (in tank) when the time comes. The new T5 lights should be in tomorrow, as well.
I rearranged the tank again as you can see. :rolleyes: I've got good current flow as you can see the 'seaweed' flowing different directions.

Here's the tank with and without the flash...

100_1687.jpg 100_1686.jpg

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I think the coral replicas might look good with some coralline growing on them in time...especially the white ones. We'll see.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Thanks. :)

If the Golden Butterfly isn't safe with those corals I could always go with a Longfin Bannerfish, (Heniochus Butterfly)...it's mainly a zooplankton feeder.
Personally, i dont concider this Butterfly to be a reef safe fish, and if i had to choose between these two, it would be the banner fish....

These butterflys are prone to nipping at soft corals...Its a risk if you choose it...

Niko

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Thanks for the info. Banner fish it is, then.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store