New bumblebee gobee ~ Hachi

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

apratsunrthd

AC Members
Aug 1, 2006
Chattanooga, TN
I'll have to disagree with sumthin on this one. I'll just go ahead and quote AC's Species Profile on the Bumblebee Goby:

These fish live in brackish waters, and need the addition of 1 to 2 spoonfuls of sea salt to every 2 gallons of water.

Aquarium salt IS sea salt. I totally disagree that using a marine mix is healthier for BGs. As paku has already stated, they're born in freshwater, move to brackish and then back to freshwater. While I would agree that many fish that spawn in freshwater need the trace elements offered by a marine mix, the BG simply does not fall into this category.

Sumthin, if you're an ichthyologist, maybe you can offer some insight that no one else is aware of.

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
if aquarium salt is the same as sea salt, why could some one use aquarium salt for FW, but no one would ever use it to maintain their specific gravity in a marine setup?

also. bb gobies will have a better life in BW. no debate needed.

yea they are born in fesh, and yea they may go back, but being an estuarine species, they are cabable of TOLORATING FW conditions, not THRIVING in it. if you have a BB goby in fresh water, it will not live for more than 18 months if you are very very lucky, but a year is pushing it.

BB goby's can live for more than 3-4 years if kept in the proper conditions.

So if you want to insure that your BB goby's only live 1/4 - 1/3 of their actual life span, keep them in FW.

the aquaria hobby, for me is as much about the fish's joy and happieness, as it is for my own.

you need MARINE SALT, & a HYDROMETER if you plan to keep your fish happy, MAINTAINIG A SPECIFIC GRAVITY BETWEEN 1.010 AND 1.018.

a brackish fish in FW might as well be @ Wal-Mart

paku

Gimmie a snail. NOW!
Jul 31, 2006
Chattanooga, TN
MAINTAINIG A SPECIFIC GRAVITY BETWEEN 1.010 AND 1.018.
That is way to high for this fish. My tank is set up at 1.005 like I have said.

according to Fishbase.org
Brachygobius
Inhabits freshwater streams, canals, ditches and marshes as well as brackish estuarine areas. Feeds on zooplankton. Not sold in the markets, but occasionally encountered in the aquarium trade.
They are found as Adults in the Mekong River Basin
This is not a true brackish fish. They are born in fresh waters, they move to other waters, somtimes brackish due to the low water levels in the dry season... After the wet season floods they return to the fresh waters to spawn.

From a book titled "Agriculture in the Lower Mekong Basin"
Chapter 5.
The life cycle of many fish species in the Mekong is adapted to the annual inundation cycle. With the onset of floods and the submergence of ricefields, ditches, swamps, oxbows, and other low-lying areas over a considerable distance on either side of the riverbank, large numbers of the fish population migrate from the rivers to the inundated areas, mostly for spawning. An estimated 85 to 95 percent of the total freshwater fish population in the basin follows this inundation spawning pattern.
This book was written thirty years ago to serve as a scientific basis for the Mekong Committee (Committee for the Coordination of Studies in the Lower Mekong Basin) in establishing its work programme in the field of agricultural development and conservation. The basic data for the book were collected by the staff of the Agriculture Division of the Mekong Secretariat
So please show me some docmented data, not somthing somone put on a website from somthing they have seen from another website. This data was collected from the natives that live in the area, as well as ichyologist that publish thier findings on fishbase.org I have allot more data but this is getting too long. Please before you guys tell someone they are neglecting a fish as bad as say "walmart", research that fish and dont just give out the data that you have read on a website.

paku

Gimmie a snail. NOW!
Jul 31, 2006
Chattanooga, TN
BTW I am not denying the fact they live in both fresh and brackish waters, nor am I denying the fact that Marine salt has trace elements that aquarium salt doesn’t. However my Water density is at 1.005 the low end of brackish, and if you wanted to really create the natural habitat of the BB Goby you would need to switch him from FW to Low BW and back to FW every year.

apratsunrthd

AC Members
Aug 1, 2006
Chattanooga, TN
Some people just want to be right. They can't site any sources. They just want to tell you you're wrong because they somehow innately know what a BB goby needs, science and research aside.

apratsunrthd

AC Members
Aug 1, 2006
Chattanooga, TN
Apparently reading isn't your strong suit. We've already stated (about three times) that BBs MOVE to brackish to spawn and then RETURN to freshwater in their natural environment. That means they CHOOSE to do this. If brackish is so much healthier for them, why wouldn't they just stay in brackish water?

paku

Gimmie a snail. NOW!
Jul 31, 2006
Chattanooga, TN
In order to get allot of fish to spawn you need to change thier tank conditions. That doesnt mean much to me.

Brachygobius nunus (Hamilton, 1822)
Family: Gobiidae (Gobies), subfamily: Gobionellinae No FishBase pictures available. Try GoogleImages.
Point map
Order: Perciformes (perch-likes)
Class: Actinopterygii (ray-finned fishes)
FishBase name:
Max. size: 2.5 cm SL (male/unsexed; Ref. 4833)
Environment: demersal; amphidromous (Ref. 51243)
Climate: tropical
Importance: fisheries: of no interest
Resilience: High, minimum population doubling time less than 15 months(Preliminary K or Fecundity.)
Distribution:
Gazetteer Asia: India, Myanmar, Thailand, Malaya, Indonesia and Borneo. Reported from Bangladesh (Ref. 1479).
Biology: Occurs in estuaries, mangroves, tidal creeks and freshwater.
Red List Status: (Ref. 53964)
Dangerous: harmless
Coordinator:
Main Ref: Larson, H. K.. 2001. (Ref. 43716)

reiverix

Aye
Sep 4, 2004
Columbus, OH
I don't care what you state. You are wrong.

Apparently you didn't read the article if you can read at all. Bumblebee gobies are collected from brackish water. And you, saying aquarium salt is sea salt. Give me a break and stop giving out bad info.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store