New bumblebee gobee ~ Hachi

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

apratsunrthd

AC Members
Aug 1, 2006
Chattanooga, TN
HAHAHA! That's rich... screw the real science and research, you're wrong.

Aquarium Salt: All natural salt, made from evaporated sea water. Hmm... that's not sea salt? Maybe someone should let the sea know it doesn't have sea salt in it.

The only one giving out bad info is you, my friend. You come in and try to put someone down who has obviously done boatloads more research on BBs than you have. You site a couple of articles that have no real data on the life cycle and natural habitat of the BB Goby and try to make everyone think that you know what you're talking about just because...

You're out of line, out of control, and completely out of your league. I have no interest in feeding you any further. Hopefully those with a brain and the ability to do real research from MANY DIFFERENT SOURCES will exercise that ability and not rely on your half-hearted article sniffing.

paku

Gimmie a snail. NOW!
Jul 31, 2006
Chattanooga, TN
I guess you don’t read either, I never denied that they are brackish... I KNOW THEY LIVE IN BRACKISH WATERS. There are also about 4 different species of the bumblebee goby, so which one is that article talking about? Oh, that’s right it doesn’t say...

I have already stated my tank has salt in it, and is at a density of 1.005, I never denied the difference in the trace elements between aquarium salt and marine salt; however aquarium salt still raises my density up to a low brackish environment. He is still young and less than an inch long. I have already stated that I am thinking of making an Asian brackish biotope in the future for when he gets older.

I asked for documented research on the habitat and environment on the Brachygobius, what I got is a couple guys throwing around articles about a husband and wife breeding them by adding 1tbs salt (doesn’t state what kind of salt) per gallon, and another article about collecting them in brackish waters. How old where they during collection? How "brackish" was the water, what species was this? Was it in the dry season which I have stated about 5 times now that is when they migrate?

I don't care what you state. You are wrong.
I haven’t stated anything, just simply posted quotes from Fishbase.org and a Book of the Mekong River Basin. So tell them they are wrong.

reiverix

Aye
Sep 4, 2004
Columbus, OH
Unbelievable. Maybe you should research the contents of the ocean water. If I used aquarium salt in my reef it wouldn't last very long because it is not the same. What does it take for you to realize this?

I know there are several species of bumblebee goby. I don't rely on 30 year old research to justify what I keep in my tanks.

Let's just end it here before you all get too excited. I'll keep my brackish fish using a marine salt mix. You keep yours in whatever you want.

Have a great day.

paku

Gimmie a snail. NOW!
Jul 31, 2006
Chattanooga, TN
The Asian bumblebee gobies Brachygobius are probably the most widely seen non-marine gobies in aquarium stores. In the wild some species inhabit both fresh and brackish water while others are exclusively found in freshwater, but in captivity all seem to do well in slightly brackish water. They can also be kept in completely fresh water provided the water is not too soft and acidic. Although a pH of at least 6.5 is necessary, this still means they can be combined with neons, cardinals, dwarf plecs, Corydoras, and so on. Bumblebee gobies will also adapt to brackish water very readily, a specific gravity of around 1.005 being adequate for keeping these fish alongside brackish water species such as pipefish and mollies.
Can we please just agree that no one truly knows what is best for this fish, as there are so many conflicting entries from respectable sources? I have studied the actual habitat of this fish; you have studied what people have said in web pages. And to be quite honest I doubt raising the salinity lead to breeding, I am sure it was the water changes they did, that reduced the salinity to below 1.005.

And if you would read my post, once again:
I have already stated my tank has salt in it, and is at a density of 1.005, I never denied the difference in the trace elements between aquarium salt and marine salt

reiverix

Aye
Sep 4, 2004
Columbus, OH
Paku, my comments actually weren't directed at you. I just get frustrated when aquarium salt is compared to a marine mix.

It's true that most brackish species are not well documented, likely because of their rarity in the hobby. So yes, we can agree on that.

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
Brackish fish seem to always cause arguments like these. To many folks just assume you dont know anything about brackish conditions and you are keeping them in a totaly unsuitable environment. By nature, alot of brackish fish can readily adapt to a wide range of conditions. I will not say whats wrong or right. I have seen BB's do well in both. But the way I look at it is most fish are kept in less than ideal coinditions. I mean if you want your fish in an ideal environment then you better be putting it back in nature. Even a 100G tank is a rather small amount of water compared to most fishes natural environment (more like a millionth the size). Similar arguments can be made for a bird in a cage, or a german shepherd in a small city lot.

paku, if you've got em in 1.005 or there abouts I say your golden and sumthin fishy was a bit out of line jumping on you so hard. If its a reef tank, yeah the ocean mix would be better but a BB goby is going to care a lot less than an anemone about what type of salt your using.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
the best thing for BBGs are what occurs naturaly in the wild. yes, they move from FW to BW, so then you should make the transiton over time in the aquarium, so marine salt would be best.
for apratsunthd,
if you used aquarium salt for BW, it might add the the salinity, but it wouldnt mimick their natural conditions. yes, it is dried sea salt, but it loses so much when its dried. also, many puffers are born in freshwater and move gradually to BW and SW. does that make them any less marine? no. bull sharks are born in rivers. does that make them any less marine? NO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store