new gsp care

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
should they be kept at 10012 or full marine?when adult, and if full marine what number whould that be.
can i use liverock at full marine to help with bio filtering? and if so would they bother an anemone? or things like that?
i want to get into salt water at some time so i think this is a good way to reach it slowly, i like the pretty things like dusters etc, not sure what all of them are, but just thinking about what i can combine with him to make it more his natural habitat.....

also should i have a skimmer on the tank?

SpockthePuffer

AC Members
Jan 2, 2008
Pittsburgh
When small, under 3 inches 1.012 is fine but when he larger he should be put into full marine, 1.021ish. And yes you can get liverock and if you have a big enough tank even some marine tankmates. I wouldn't put and anemone in with one. Some corals can be kept with them, you just have to figure out what tastes bad to him.

Some people put their GSPs in full marine when small too and it doesn't seem to affect them at all so if you wanted to go full marine sooner than later you could.

And yes when the tank is at full marine a skimmer and sump and all that good stuff would be recommended.

AquatiCreations

Registered something or another...
Feb 25, 2008
hey spock,i am reading everywhere that they grow to 6" but i have never seen one this size do they really grow that large because i would love to have a puffer that size.

SpockthePuffer

AC Members
Jan 2, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah they grow to be that big, I know I've seen GSPs pufferpunk had that were around that big. Sometimes they get stunted at a young age so they don't grow though. I hope my milton will get to be full sized, I have him in a 30 gallon now and at some point he will get my 55 gallon so he has plenty of room to grow! From what I've read they get to be full sized after around 2-3 years. Some are fast growers and some a slow.

AquatiCreations

Registered something or another...
Feb 25, 2008
ah neat,i have always wanted a larger puffer im not a fan of the little dwarfs,to me puffers,the bigger the better :p

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Here were my 6" babies, before I rehomed them:

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
hey there guys,....... question i've herd some of you feed pellets to gsp
what kind of pellets?
marine /fresh w? protien amount? just wanting to make sure he get all the vits he needs i feed the snails very well but you never know right?

SpockthePuffer

AC Members
Jan 2, 2008
Pittsburgh
I feed Milton the Marine pellets my SW fish get if I don't have any of his usual food defrosted. The best thing for them to eat though is stuff like mussels, squid, shrimp, clams. Snails aren't really fed for their nutrition, more for their teeth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store