new gsp care

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

groovitudedude

Teen Runner
Feb 22, 2008
I'd like to see the longevity of those puffers.
I have seen a 3''er in full marine at multiple LFSs. They claim that they've had them in full marine for several months when I asked them about it, so I guess it works.

I'm sure they'll outlive GSPs in full fresh ;)

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Several months is a very short time in the lifespan of these fish. They can easily live into their teens, with the proper care & feeding. Again, Chin's fish are still young.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
has there been any real facts that it is harmfull?
besides that they normally don't go in the ocean at that size,
i'd say they don't for the size factor not the salinity, being they would be prey instead of the hunter,..

just a thought that maybe the places where they go is for the fact of staying alive not being too salty..

not trying to start something just a farmer giving fact of life thinking.. sometimes creatures do things other than what we think they do it for..

i don't want to hurt him/her but wonder the real reasons..
if its the size factor i don't have sharks or what ever to eat him so he would be safe..

the reason most creatures that are salt move to fresh is for survival statistics, not cause the need fresh/ but some creatures do, so i was only thinking outloud...

i'm sure in the wild there are some that venture out there but sucomb to being dinner instead of dieing from salinity issues..
just wondered if anyone actually had any real factoring in this issue..
i'm sure someone somewhere has done this in the aquaria but i'm not sure how to find out this info..

groovitudedude

Teen Runner
Feb 22, 2008
has there been any real facts that it is harmfull?
besides that they normally don't go in the ocean at that size,
i'd say they don't for the size factor not the salinity, being they would be prey instead of the hunter,..

just a thought that maybe the places where they go is for the fact of staying alive not being too salty..

not trying to start something just a farmer giving fact of life thinking.. sometimes creatures do things other than what we think they do it for..

i don't want to hurt him/her but wonder the real reasons..
if its the size factor i don't have sharks or what ever to eat him so he would be safe..

the reason most creatures that are salt move to fresh is for survival statistics, not cause the need fresh/ but some creatures do, so i was only thinking outloud...

i'm sure in the wild there are some that venture out there but sucomb to being dinner instead of dieing from salinity issues..
just wondered if anyone actually had any real factoring in this issue..
i'm sure someone somewhere has done this in the aquaria but i'm not sure how to find out this info..
I think it has something to do with spawning.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
I'm more concerned about the osmotic pressure of the high SG on a young fish's organs.

Justin72681

AC Members
Jun 16, 2008
I got two GSPs about 2&1/2 months ago. One died shortly after but the second limped along until last night. The first sign of trouble was one of the gills clamping shut. So I treated for gill flukes. Nothing. So after a while I treated for internal parasites. Things got a little better. Then the symptomes appeared again. I treated the water this time with CopperSafe. The fish then did well for 3 weeks and then stopped eating, twitched, lost color, and became sunken and emaciated. I did a 50% water change to try and get out the last of the copper (I had done regular water changes before) and treated again with JungleMate. The fish began eating regularly but did not put on weight. Last night I noticed a bulge just off center of it's belly, today it was dead. I have a 20 gallon tank, nitrate, nitrites and amonia are zero or barely readable, ph is 8.1, salinity is 1.017, temperature is 79 - 81 dgrees F. I have a second puffer that I got last week and do not want this to happen again. Can someone please tell me what went wrong?

SpockthePuffer

AC Members
Jan 2, 2008
Pittsburgh
Copper is not good to use on puffers. They don't have scales so copper is a big no no. Most of the meds say that in the instructions. It sounds like he still had the internal parasites. If your new puffer is in the same tank he might get sick from left over copper. It leeches into rocks and plants and could poison your new puffer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store