new here

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
If this tank is only 12 gallons, I would certainly not add more fish. Platy can attain 3 inches (female) and 2 inches (male) and given the fact that fry will almost certainly result, this tank is going to get very crowded very fast. As for fry serving as food for other fish like Betta, this is not recommended. There are nutritional issues with aquarium fish eating fish, and although many of us assume this occurs naturally, in fact it does not in most species we maintain. The natural food for most fish consists of insects, insect larvae, crustaceans and worms, depending upon the habitat.

To the temperature, that is fine for platy. They have a wide range, but like most fish are better (= healthier) if not at the high end, so mid 70's is ideal.

Byron.

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
I had 4-5 platys and a beta in the tank before and they did good enough, I had to tend the tank a little extra during the weekly water change.
now that the fish are at about 75F they seem more active and are moving a little faster. The heater that I got is just a cheep 75w thing and it's "on" light makes an annoying buzzing noise but it's working well. I wonder if the baby plant in the tank would start growing faster now that the water is above 70F now.

I can't wait until Petco has their $1 per gal tank sale, I'm going to get a rectangular 29 gal.

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
Great news! I got a 28 gal (math might be off a little) tank with a heavy metal stand from a yard sale today for $10 and they are in great condition! I need to get a new filter pump for it, I'm using the pump from the 12 gal for now, but since their is only 3 fish and a snail I think that it should be okay for a little while.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Females tend to be a bit fuller (with eggs) when mature, however there are a lot of environmental and genetic factors that may make the sexes less distinct. Unless you're planning on breeding, which may be difficult to do in a community tank since they are egg scatterers, it probably wont make much of a difference.

The danios are going in the 28 gallon, correct? I'd plan on adding more eventually. They really do best in groups of 6+, but they are really active so I'd aim for maybe 6 or so given your tank size. Don't overdo it though, as your cycle is likely only established for the original three fish. The bacteria will need time to catch up so take your stocking process slowly, and keep an eye on things.

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
I have 3 platys in the tank too so I don't know if 6 zebra fish would make it too crowded. After a massive amount of reading I think a good way to tell M from F is that males have darker stripes and are more of a torpedo shape to their body. I think that I may have 2 females and a male by the way they look.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Meh, I doubt stripes are a very accurate indicator of dimorphism in zebra danios, but that may because I never really paid attention to them as my zebra danios zipped around.

I wasn't trying to say that your tank would be overstocked, but they do need a bit more space than one would think given their activity. So I wouldn't add too many...just enough to make a group big enough so that they're comfortable enough. In addition, you have some bottom space that you really haven't "filled" yet with your current stocking plan.

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
also I put a air wand attached to an air pump made for a filter for up to 5gal. I know with a big tank it's a good idea to have a bubble system but I don't know why exactly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store