new here

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
I've had a bloom now for 3-4 days it looks like it's starting to get better but what are good ways to keep the cloudiness down? Would a carbon tablet help since it helps the plant grow?

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
my tank has a white haze to it, I think it's bacterial. I went out and bought two new plants because the one that I already had is too small to do much of anything.
The haze seems to have gotten better over the last 2 days since I got the air stone to help air get in to the water and move the water around. The fish seem happy and healthy. The roster is 5 Danio, 3 Platy and a golden snail and I'm going to wait to find a fish to take up the middle level of my tank.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
If it's white, it's likely bacterial. Water changes can also help clear things up, but my guess is that it will clear up pretty quickly.

I still think that you should try to get fish that are bottom dwellers, such as corys or loaches, rather than stock the middle/upper. That's where danios and platies tend to spend the most of their time...

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
I want to get some bottom dwellers but I want to wait until this bloom clears up so things can balance out in the tank

You say that danios are middle dwellers but mine seems to like the bottom, I guess they're broken :p:

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
and how about Cherry Shrimp for keeping the bottom clean? I'd kinda like a more diversified tank. Do you have any experience with these shrimp?​

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
and how about Cherry Shrimp for keeping the bottom clean? I'd kinda like a more diversified tank. Do you have any experience with these shrimp?​
Most fish will pick off some RCS, or at least the babies if not adults. It probably isn't a sustainable option. Bottom dwelling fish are probably a better option. If you want to diversify with some inverts there are some snails that you could look into.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I noticed my danios would cruise the bottom sometimes, but they tended to stick towards the middle.

I agree that RCS might not be the best option, but some people can get away with it if you have lots of hardscape and/or plants for them to retreat to...the only problem is then you may not see them all that often.

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
I might try getting one RCS just to see if it would work, wouldn't hurt. I'm going to check out some beneficial bacteria, my tank is starting to clear up but it might be a good idea to have some on hand just in case I have another spike and/or bloom.

I have gravel in my tank right now would it be a goo idea to switch to sand? I kinda like the look of it and that could be enough to change it. Why not try a little sand in part of my tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store