New Paludarium Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tylerk

AC Members
Jul 30, 2009
It is the Perfecto Manufactoring Aquarium Sealant - I can't find where it specifies Silicone I or II...

tylerk

AC Members
Jul 30, 2009
Here are a couple pictures. First one is a view of how it looks from the front. The second is how it looks from the top. These are just placed in there and a general idea of what I'm going to do. The filter is going to run behind the left "half cave" in the corner. I plan to run the water across the top with a couple misting valves.

Let me know your thoughts! Thanks again for all the help everybody (technically just mellow recently, but I welcome any ideas/criticisms.)! I would love suggestions for some plant ideas - I have some moss already and would like a nice plant for the center of the platform. The only stocking right now is two Fire Bellied Toads.

IMG_1973.JPG IMG_1975.JPG

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
I think you're still dedicating too much space to water, and should think about your land area more like a planter box than a raft, if you know what I mean. the corner piece should work in terms of space, I've never used that type of wood before.

also, mistervalves won't work as your filter return. (just to be clear) misting and filtering should be seperate systems. you can do a drip return from the filter, but the misters can't be used that way.

tylerk

AC Members
Jul 30, 2009
I have both materials for mister valves and for just drips - the guy at the store recommended the misters and they were something like $0.29 each, so I figured I'd give them a shot.

I agree with you on the land - I'm trying to find something nice for the left side (when looking at the 2nd picture - opposite side of the filter cave). I am trying to find some sort of rock that will fit the bill over there - just squeeze snuggly into the corner giving a bit more platform. I should have my delivery this week, so hopefully I can get some solid work in this weekend. I'll you all updated... thanks again, mellow!

tylerk

AC Members
Jul 30, 2009
Here is another attempt - a drawing of sorts. I was able to find some nice rocks to build a set of steps leading to a rock platform. I found a potential platform, but am looking for something a bit better still. I also really liked the sphagnum moss packed along the walls idea and plan on using that for at least the back. I plan on chopping up the cork bark that was the "back wall" and using a portion of it along the back still as sort of a "potting" structure for a nice plant - possibly a small fern. I also still plan to plant some kind fo flowering plant in the back and center of the main cork bark platform (the red thing is supposed to be "some sort of flower". I hope to have moss catch on the platform and the coco fiber I plan to spread over it - if moist enough I'm hoping the java fern, if not, I found a few mosses around my house that might work, or I can try and find a good one at the local nursery. As far as other plants, I really liked the pennywort in that tank you linked, mellow, as well as the creeping fig. I plan to do something similar if I cannot do those.

I kind of confused myself on the filter set-up. I ended up getting the 404 as that was recommended by the guy at the hydroponics store. I have plenty of foam to shape to my needs. It seems, from what I've read, all the other standard medias in a filter aren't really needed in a nicely planted aquarium. Is there a "standard" method to building this kind of circulation or a "best" method?

Thanks again.

I also just want to say, the drawing really isn't all that great. After looking at it one last time, I think I under represented the size of the rocks, they are a bit longer than the picture shows. The sizes of all the wood also varies a bit from reality - just a rough sketch of what I am thinking after playing around with the set up last night.

Drawing1.jpg

tylerk

AC Members
Jul 30, 2009
Oh, and the green on the rocks represents how I am going to attempt to grow the riccia from the rocks. I read last night that the Riccia grows well on structures in the tank by just tying it down with some fishing line.

tylerk

AC Members
Jul 30, 2009
Well, here's the update. Got it pieced together over the past week. I am still cycling the water through, although it looks a lot clearer now than when the photos were taken. The plants I have in there are from the local nursery where a guy helped me pick them out. The moss on the cork bark isn't actually an moss technically, it is Irish Moss. I liked the look of it and am testing it out in this environment. I picked up the three Tillandsias in there to test them out and see if I like any/all of them and plan to see how they react. The plant in thewate, just sticking up, I have no idea what it is - it's just a simple house plant the guy at the nursery said will grow really well rooted in the water. I have the Riccia tied around the rock formation on the right and am hoping it will completely cover those eventually. I am waiting for the water to clear up so I can survey the real estate down there a bit better and then go with some fully aquatic plants or my java moss log that I have in my other tank right now. So here it is... thanks again for all the help. Hope you guys like the beginning stages...

IMG_1979.JPG IMG_1981.JPG IMG_1984.JPG IMG_1987.JPG IMG_1998.JPG IMG_1999.JPG IMG_2001.JPG IMG_2002.JPG

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Great job! It's coming along nicely.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store