New Riparium in 56 Column

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
Nile sand and lapis lustar are the same thing near as I can tell, grain sizing and color etc.

Lapis lustar is available at the local rock and landscaping places for 2.50$ per 100lbs. You could get it and have it shipped via flat rate USPS box for less;)
Used it for 30+ years, most folks did here in the Bay area.

Regards,
Tom Barr

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
That Nile Sand is about the same as the bagged construction sand that I can get here for $3.50 for 50# bag. I would have guessed as much. I just wanted to try it out. I am pleased to have the Forest Sand "Branco".

Yep, Anubias crypts and Java fern all grow really well in these setups. Bolbitis is a great emersed plant too...

It takes a while to adapt, but once it starts its emersed growth it develops fast. It has such a nice texture. Java fern grows even faster. Here is a real big one that I have going on an Epi-Trellis Raft...

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
You should try out the new crypt tropica has put on the market. The Crypt Wendtii 'Florida Sunset', would add some nice contrast.

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
I do have that one. I believe that it was Florida Aquatic Nurseries that came out with 'Florida Sunset', not Tropica.

When I grew 'Florida Sunset' emersed it completely lost its variegation. The plants that I have just look like regular 'Mi Oya' now.

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Ah you are right it is FAN. My bad.

Weird that yours lost the variegation emersed. Mine did the exact opposite. It went from really variegated emersed to pretty green submersed. Its still fairly new to me, Ive only had it a few weeks.

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
A real nice variegated plant for ripariums is Echinodorus 'Tropica Marble Queen'. I understand that they loose most of their variegation when grown underwater, but this one grows pretty white-mottled leaves, and I don't have it in especially bright light.

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
I added some sand to the tank to start it cycling. Here is some of the Branco Forest Sand.

I added a pinch of fish food to the bottom of each of these snap-top dishes. After pouring in the sand I then squeezed the mulm from a dirty sponge filter in one of my livebearer breeding tanks.

Keeping the sand in those containers will facilitate tear down and set up when I move the tank into its permanent spot.

Weather Loach

Eating all the Snails in your tank!
Sep 1, 2009
California
I saw your 65 gallon tank and it is amazing!
This is going to look really good also!

Are there going to be any more updates?

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
I haven't made any new headway with this tank, but I do have a plant update. The African mask plant (Alocasia amazonica) is growing really well.

Although this is is quite a popular plant, I have encountered only scant references to growing it in pond marginal conditions with saturated media. Most of the descriptions that I have found indicate that it prefers "moist but well-drained" substrate conditions. In this setup it is thriving in a riparium planter submerged almost all the way to the plant's crown. It has great root development.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store