New Riparium in 56 Column

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
I am not sure about dormancy for African mask plants(?). I have quite a few plants with dormancy reguirements in ripariums and they are not so hard to manage: I just lift the planters out and put them in a cooler and drier environment through their dormancy periods.

I understood that Microsorum thailandicum was an epiphyte/lithophyte. I don't think that it would do very well in the water. Java fern, (Microsorum icantrememberthespeciesname), on the other hand, is great for ripairums--very easy once it gets going with emersed growth. Here's one on an Epi-Trellis Raft...

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Thailandicum is indeed a lithophyte, but still has very high humidity requirements. A recent houseguest from Thailand was telling me about how the hospital she works at grows them in a trough with a fountain running water through in addition to a fog machine. Either way, if they can't stand to have their roots wet, they would probably do beautifully mounted to a cork plate in the back of the exhibit.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
Sweet build.I'd like to try one someday.
You gonna keep any fish in it?

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
That's good to know. Their are a number of other lithophytic things that I have wondered about. It seems that some of those plants grow in spots where there is frequent water flow over the rock substrate, so maybe they could make with at least the bottom of the planter down in the water and with the substrate wicking water up.

The back of the tank in a riparium setup is probaby a pretty good habitat for epiphytes too. The TPT member Hoppy has a couple of miniature orchids growing in his setup, which you can see there on pieces of cork hung on the rear glass rim.

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
This is a really neat thread! You have a very very green thumb and a beautiful riparium!

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
That tank above is not mine. That was a quote. This tank is a similar shape though and it will have some of the same kinds of plants as that one in the picture above.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store