New SW setup, newbie too

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
You are off to a very nice start with your tank. :)

I think the frag that you couldn't remember the name of is Xenia, if it is the one on the left side of your most recent full tank shot. As for detaching the corals from the rocks, you certainly don't have to do that. I always just leave mine attached, since the rocks will be covered eventually either by coralline, or when the corals grow larger.

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
My problem with the plugs that some use is that darn stem that sticks out too far. I could live with the plug just not the stem.

Dan06

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
Thanks!

It looks real bland to me, but I always look at my tanks and hate them compared to everyone elses. ;)

I'll be getting some more LR once my LFS brings in more from their home tanks soon, they said they were setting up a 2nd holding tank soon..

Could you guys help me identify a few things on my life rock? I have these very, very small red things starting to grow out of the rock, when I brought the LR in, they were just little red bumps, but now some are about 1/4" tall and almost look like they have prickers on them - then there is a pink piece, it's shaped long and narrow and comes to a point like a Roof on a house & it has 6 points on it, perfectly symmetrical in shape.

Also, I found some red blobs, it looks like someone chewed bubble gum and then smeared it onto the rock, they are getting thicker - I also found some green blobs that look the same, like someone chewed some bubble gum and rubbed it into the LR.

There is also another red thing, it's round with what looks like 6 tubes sticking out of it - I noticed that it is growing also. I wish I could get pictures but my Iphone would never focus on them unless I pulled them out of the tank and I'm getting tired of being elbow deep in my tank every day. I need a 24 hour break. ;)

Dan06

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
You are off to a very nice start with your tank. :)

I think the frag that you couldn't remember the name of is Xenia, if it is the one on the left side of your most recent full tank shot. As for detaching the corals from the rocks, you certainly don't have to do that. I always just leave mine attached, since the rocks will be covered eventually either by coralline, or when the corals grow larger.
Yes, I'm pretty sure that is what they said it was too. I want to break that piece up because it has the Kenya Tree & Mushroom too close together.

Jalo Reefa'

master of non-specific gravity
Feb 19, 2009
I have the exact same tank, though you're much farther along than I am with regards to stocking, etc.

I spray painted the back two panels of my tank black - not only did it hide cords, but my filter (emperor 280), heater (stealth), and the pre-skimmer attachment for my BP2 are all black - so it not only hides the stuff behind the tank but also the equipment in the tank is black as well and very inconspicuous.

was worth the effort. I don't know if you can spray a tank that's full (bad bad idea) but your roll on idea may give you a really nice finish. I'm totally done with the paper/plastic backgrounds from this point on, I'm painting any and all future tanks

Dan06

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
I could just disconnect everything for the 20 minutes it would take to spray the tank a few times, but keeping the paint off the walls would be difficult. LOL So...if it gets painted, I'll just roll it on.

Sometimes I wish I got the matching stand, but I like the extra storage of my cabinet, plus the granite top is nice...

Do you have a picture of your tank I could see?

tidioute06

AC Members
Mar 11, 2008
Glendale, AZ
If you haven't already I'd seriously recommend a Master Saltwater test kit from API and possible a master reef test kit. These are invaluable tools for the hobby and should any problems arise most folks will need water parameters to help you. You are off to great start the tanks look awesome. Just remember patient is key. Dont rush things and you'll be paid off ten-fold in the future.
Keep up the good work.

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
I could just disconnect everything for the 20 minutes it would take to spray the tank a few times, but keeping the paint off the walls would be difficult. LOL So...if it gets painted, I'll just roll it on.

Sometimes I wish I got the matching stand, but I like the extra storage of my cabinet, plus the granite top is nice...

Do you have a picture of your tank I could see?
It's been my experience with painting tanks that it is not a 20 minute job, LOL. It took me many coats of spray paint before I was satisfied with the background of my old 15 gallon, and each coat needs to dry completely before you apply the next. Then again, I used cheap spray paint so hopefully the more expensive brands will yield better results. But with 2 sides of your tank against your walls, I sure don't envy you that job. ;) Best of luck!

Dan06

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
If you haven't already I'd seriously recommend a Master Saltwater test kit from API and possible a master reef test kit. These are invaluable tools for the hobby and should any problems arise most folks will need water parameters to help you. You are off to great start the tanks look awesome. Just remember patient is key. Dont rush things and you'll be paid off ten-fold in the future.
Keep up the good work.

Hopefully I haven't been moving too quickly, but my LFS said the small frags wouldn't be demanding & using the Reef Crystals salt mix would be good for trace elements to begin with. I'm actually not very interested in having my own test kits, just yet. Reason being, I'm a major control freak and I insist on everything being perfect - If I had my own test kit right now I would have been testing the water every single day freaking out if something showed up. I think for now until I have a better understanding of all my equipment, basic demands for my SPS - I'll stick with letting my LFS test the water weekly when I come in to pick up 5 gallons of their RO/DI.

I burned through my freshwater master test kit in a matter of a few months.

The internet instilled such a huge fear of SW tanks in me, that I am just going to gain experience by doing what the LFS says, along with bouncing the ideas off everyone here - if it's left up to me, I'll panic and do something completely unneccesary.

Dan06

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
LFS didn't get their Sea Hare's in this week, so they suggested 'renting' a small Fox Face and return him for store credit - but I'm not very interested in the Fox right now, I suggested how bad I want a small yellow tang, they had none in their FO tanks, but I asked if I could buy the Tang from their display tank and they obliged - albeit I paid a hefty price, but he is a beautiful fish and completely cleaned 1 LR last night within a few hours and has since thinned out the rest of the hair algae. Very impressed! They suggested he may help while I get the phosphates under control in my weekly water changes to RO/DI instead of the tap I started with, tomorrow will be my 3rd water change of 5g RO/DI - so the growth should be slowing in the next few weeks if the Tang doesn't solve it before I can.

Looks like I need to move all of my Corals around, the Tang will only get so close to them, but he's doing a good job further around them. I'm going to attach a photo next.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store