New SW setup, newbie too

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dan06

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
Terrible picture, but it shows some of the HA he has to munch on and I will post a progress picture in the next day or two.

tang.jpg

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
Sorry, but IMHO a 36 gallon tank is just too small for even a small yellow tang, especially since it is a corner tank. Tangs are extremely active swimmers and will become stressed in a tank that is too small. Your LFS's recommendation for a foxface is way off too, so I'm glad you didn't pick one up, and same goes for a sea hare... the tank is not mature enough to support one long-term, especially when you get your phosphates under control and you don't have the HA problem.

The problem is, your LFS is in the business of selling stuff and is not giving you good advice at the moment. Really all you need to do to beat the HA problem is continue to switch over to RO/DI and use it exclusively, and remove the HA by hand until you get it under control. When you identify and treat the source of the issue, it is not necessary to use fish to control algae.

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
I agree that a 36 gal. tank is not recommended for a Yellow Tang but, many people do buy small ones for a temporary show fish and then trade them when they get too big. A couple of books that might help are Marine Fishes - A PocketExpert Guide and Reef Fish Identification - Tropical Pacific
To me, it is not the present size of the fish that matters as much as the fact that tangs need more horizontal swimming room than what is provided by a 36 gallon tank, especially since it is a corner model. And I can't personally condone the attitude in this hobby that fish are "temporary" to justify keeping them in inappropriate setups. ;)

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
What do you mean, you can't condone an attitude? I don't think you really have a choice in the matter, if someone decides to put a fish in a tank of their liking, that is their business. It appears from the photo, Dan06 has already made HIS choice.

Dan06

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
Stuff like this is why I was reluctant to post pictures, or even mention my stocking list.

1) My tank is 36g, it is not my final tank. I have paid for and received a 90 gallon tank that will be put into use later this year or early next year when my confidence builds & my inexperience will not risk the lives of the inhabitants, or my equipment & investments.

2) I never asked for opinions on my stocking list.

3) The Sea Hare WAS going to be acquired for helping speed up the removal of the HA along with my continued RO/DI water changes. We had already arranged to return the Sea Hare to be 'rented' out again. The Fox Face was also offered as a 'tool' to help control my HA, like I said, as I continued to do RO/DI water changes. Both owners of the store made it very, very clear that neither the Hare or Fox Face could happily survive in a 36gal tank in the long term, but could serve a good purpose and live quite well for a few months.

4) I am using this 36g tank, right now as an inexpensive alternative to become experienced and learn - before I spend hundreds or even thousands on my 90gal setup. So, until I'm confident enough to spend the money & invest the time into my 90 gallon, I will be continuing to experiment with various corals, using Fish/Inverts from my LFS on a temporary basis to learn how to create a well balanced Eco-System within a glass cage.

5) Rest assured, this 36g corner tank is not the final home for this tang. In fact, I am just returning from the LFS and I had suggested I may return it after it's job is done & asked them if they would hold it until my 90g is setup in the near future.

6) To simply assume my LFS is just a business and is just selling me, be aware I am a educated salesman myself that makes a very good living in this line of work, based on commission. I am not one to be sold - not when it's what I do 8 hours a day 6 days a week. Also may it be known I personally know the owner and there is no need for them to make a sales pitch to me.

So please, understand that no fish in my tank (Clarkii Clown & Yellow Tang) are living in their permanent homes, the Tang will likely be going back to the LFS when things are under control in the next week or two until my 90g is ready. Maybe it's my fault for not spelling these things out in my posts - I will be sure to do a better job next time.

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
Dan - It looks good and as long as you are happy with what you have right now. THAT'S all that counts. BTW, I had a Yellow Tang in my 30 and the olny reason I took it back to the fish store is that he was picking at my corals, so he's being taken care of for when my 90 is set up and running, along with a couple of other fish. Also, I had and kept a Yellow Tang in a 20 gal. tall for about 3 years and no trouble there either.

SOOOO!!! keep posting those pictures and pay no nevermind to those who would rather point out faults. No 2 aquariums are EVER alike. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store