New to salt.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Sorry, didn't see that. I would question 360 in a tank with one frag. I would at least test the tank and a fresh batch of SW separately.

jlennonW

AC Members
Mar 3, 2012
Yea my calcium dropped after my last top off. My first post was 440 but it dropped to 360. The tank has been up for may three months.
I am currently shopping for a skimmer. I had to get a new ro unit other wise things would have been a lot worse.
Is there any suggested phosphate removers out there?
I was thinking the phosphate remover pad to cut to size and insert in my filter.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Pads aren't that great, best bang for the buck IMO is a reactor, TLF and pump can be bought for around $50 if you catch a good deal.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Reactor with Rowaphos or Phosban would be best for the long term. Rowa in a filter bag (one provided in the bottle) will work too. You can buy bulk GFO (grannualr ferric oxide) from www.bulkreefsupply.com. Polyfilter (that is the brand name) pad is very effective at removing PO4 as well but it is expensive to use and it really needs to be in some sort of filter where the pad can be cut to fit and water is forced through it.

jlennonW

AC Members
Mar 3, 2012
Reactor with Rowaphos or Phosban would be best for the long term. Rowa in a filter bag (one provided in the bottle) will work too. You can buy bulk GFO (grannualr ferric oxide) from www.bulkreefsupply.com. Polyfilter (that is the brand name) pad is very effective at removing PO4 as well but it is expensive to use and it really needs to be in some sort of filter where the pad can be cut to fit and water is forced through it.
Thank guys this is great stuff. I almost pulled the trigger on a reactor tonight but my boss discouraged it. He recommended phoslock or phosgaurd.
I went with poly filter and 250 ml seachem phosgaurd.
40 gallon breeder
Filter 1: fluval 304
Bottom basket filled with pot scrubbies, mid basket filled with 250 ml phosgaurd and chem pure elite, top basket filled with biomax.
Filter 2: AC30 (with mangroves) cut a piece of the poly filter pad to fit.

I tested tonight:
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 20
Ph = 8
Calcium = 360
Phosphate = 5
And my salt was low.
My nitrate is high due to my over feeding, ph is low (I am thinking) because of my salt ( Red Sea coral pro), calcium may be low due to my last top off, and same goes for salt. I usually buff some water for no more then 3 gallons but I did 5 gallons not thinking.
Ill test tomorrow and see what I get.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Never heard of phosguard or phoslock. Also, what is biomax? Some kind of ceramic media? The pot scrubbies are probably going to be an issue sooner or later.

pH changes throughout the day. Beuffering it will do little to nothing if your alkanlinity is low. You should test your Mg and alkalinity in conjunction with your Ca. What is your specific gravity at and how are you measuring it (hydrometer or refractometer?)?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Yeah I'd dump the biomax and scrubbies. Assuming your on a regular lighting schedule best to try to do ph tests around the same time.

RSP calcium levels aren't bad. With what you got in the tank I'm kind of surprised it would get so low if your doing weekly w/c's.
chartei.png

chartei.png

jlennonW

AC Members
Mar 3, 2012
Never heard of phosguard or phoslock. Also, what is biomax? Some kind of ceramic media? The pot scrubbies are probably going to be an issue sooner or later.

pH changes throughout the day. Beuffering it will do little to nothing if your alkanlinity is low. You should test your Mg and alkalinity in conjunction with your Ca. What is your specific gravity at and how are you measuring it (hydrometer or refractometer?)?
Phosgaurd:

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/PhosGuard.html

PhosLock:

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewi...ntent=MN3117&gclid=CIiH94GPn7MCFQWe4AodV2kA0Q

AC Biomax:

http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-A1372-Aquaclear-50-Gallon-Biomax/dp/B000A7BCG4

Hagen Fluval BioMax

http://www.marinedepot.com/Hagen_Fl...Filter_Media-Hagen-HG11456-FIFMMECR-4-vi.html

I tested my water with a refractometer and the reading was 1.015 ppt (yesterday). Way to low I know hence this thread.
I tested my water going into the tank last night with a hydrometer and it was 1.025ppt. I will test everything again tonight and let you know.
I also changed up the salt to instant ocean reef.

jlennonW

AC Members
Mar 3, 2012
Yeah I'd dump the biomax and scrubbies. Assuming your on a regular lighting schedule best to try to do ph tests around the same time.

RSP calcium levels aren't bad. With what you got in the tank I'm kind of surprised it would get so low if your doing weekly w/c's.
View attachment 202367
What should I dump the bio max and scrubbies for? My lighting schedule is not set in stone yet but has been pretty regular.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
biomax isn't needed in SW, your rock is hosting all you beneficial bacteria's. All the max does in SW is trap detritus to decay and raise your nitrates etc. If your religiously rinsing and squeezing the scrubbies out weekly they're ok but a single sponge will catch your detritus and easier to just clean one sponge weekly, or polyfil/pads you can just toss out.

Invest in a good refactometer, I use my hydrometer when mixing up a big batch of water but final checks i do with the refractometer, my hydrometer usually shows 1.026 when its really 1.022. If they get build up on the needle they can get even more innacurate over time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store