New to salt.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
If your specific gravity is that low that is why your Ca is so low. Stop dosing, correct your SG and your star polyps should open up. You need to be aggressive with your PO4. I would be surprised if a media bag alone will bring it down due to the high concentration. At the very least, you should be changing that media often (probably weekly or better) which will likely get expensive. Water changes are going to help to but they should be frequesnt and larger changes (think 30%ish+). Are you using man-made live rock by chance?

jlennonW

AC Members
Mar 3, 2012
If your specific gravity is that low that is why your Ca is so low. Stop dosing, correct your SG and your star polyps should open up. You need to be aggressive with your PO4. I would be surprised if a media bag alone will bring it down due to the high concentration. At the very least, you should be changing that media often (probably weekly or better) which will likely get expensive. Water changes are going to help to but they should be frequesnt and larger changes (think 30%ish+). Are you using man-made live rock by chance?
I am working on the specific gravity. I mixed up two buckets of salt water. One using coral pro and the other using instant ocean.
The coral pro was lower SG. I am thinking my LFS got a bad batch of salt mix. I have used coral pro in the past and gotten totally different readings.

As for now I am about out of options. My ro unit crashed, spent $200+ to get it running again and found my membranes are now made over seas and will not do what I need it to do. $500 ro unit trashed and new six stage unit in the mail.
I am out of ro water from LFS and I am going out of town. I will be able to re stock on ro water and try again. Cross your fingers I don't lose the tank.

Oh there is also a noreastern coming so I need to fill sand bags etc.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jlennonW

AC Members
Mar 3, 2012
Update on my ten gallon reef. All parameters are looking good with the exception to the ph. My ph stays low but It is consistent. I am having issues with some red algae. Not to bad but I have to remove the algae every three days.
Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1357105329.833488.jpg

BoCoMo

In need of grace
Mar 2, 2009
Missouri
I would highly recommend listening to greech here. Look into the GFO reactors from BRS and if you can swing it I would suggest getting the carbon reactor too. Watch the BRS video; they do a good job of explaining it.

How long was this 40 set up before stocking began?

jlennonW

AC Members
Mar 3, 2012
I am sorry I thought I was posting on a different thread.
I had a three gallon nano I upgraded to a forty gallon reef then down graded to a ten gallon reef.
I did not have much luck with the forty gallon but I am having more luck with the ten gallon set up.
The ten gallon:
AquaClear30 w/poly-filter, phos guard, chemo-pure
AquaClear70w/poly-filter, phos guard, chemo-pure
Aquatic life 115 skimmer
Live sand/rock
Marineland double bright led light
Livestock:
1-green chromis
1-emerald crab
3-peppermint shrimp
GSP
Pulsing Xenia
Duncan
Mushrooms
And polyps

I miss placed my water parameters but I will post them after I test tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1357252600.419506.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store