new to the site posting pic of my setup lmk what you think

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hannys_Papa

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
Upstate NY
sharkguy said:
....another question i have is how can u get little surface scratches off an acrylic tank i cleaned it with a sos pad not realizing it would scratch when we first got it i now know not to the hard way lol
There are special acrylic polishing kits available that'll make it look like new. I lost the web adress but its a 2/3 step process (depending on what kind of damage you have/ how good you want it to look). Its about 15$ for the whole kit so not too bad. I havent personally used in on aquariums but it works awesomely for custom acrylic computer cases.

EDIT: I just did a quick google search and found the kit - even cheaper than the last time i checked. The company that makes it is called novus.
Check it out.

Last edited:

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
sharkguy said:
speaking of the m n f nurse sharks anyone know if theyd ever mate? im guessin prolly not but never know
From the Florida Museum of Natural History
"Size at maturity is also larger for females, about 225 cm (7.5 ft) in females vs 210 cm (7 ft) for males."
Basically, they will outgrow the tank before they are old enough to mate.

sharkguy

Jaws!!!
Dec 19, 2005
Tampa, FL
www.awdturbodspyder.s5.com
mogurnda said:
From the Florida Museum of Natural History
"Size at maturity is also larger for females, about 225 cm (7.5 ft) in females vs 210 cm (7 ft) for males."
Basically, they will outgrow the tank before they are old enough to mate.
yea ive went to sea world (about 40 mins from me) and talk the main biologist he told me when they get to big or i cant afford to feed them they would come and take them since its not far to drive however im wanting to build my own tank im looking into it at the moment my idea so far s intead of a tank in teh house make ti an extension of the house with one big viewing window :D but im it would be costly but pretty cool none the less

which obviously bring another question i hear they grow about 5 inches a year so i figure i haeva couple year tog et them in something bigger, providing i do kep them and build them a much larger tank would they possibly mate? and how hard would it be to maintain a 10k gallon plus saltwater

i seem to have the opposite effect everyone has i also have 2 10 gallons that i never touched since i put them up i live near the gulf about a 5 min drive and they are beach sand rocks and water all ive done in 2 months is add the evaporated water back into test it and its perfect they are even the cheap 10 gallon freashwater setup from walmart one the other hand my 400 gallon is really a pain to keep it maintained everyhting is fine except my ammonia is extremly high we changed ALL the water about 2 weeks ago i done a 80 gallon change 2 days ago teh ammonia is of the chart at well above 8ppm any ideas?

Last edited:

sharkguy

Jaws!!!
Dec 19, 2005
Tampa, FL
Hannys_Papa said:
There are special acrylic polishing kits available that'll make it look like new. I lost the web adress but its a 2/3 step process (depending on what kind of damage you have/ how good you want it to look). Its about 15$ for the whole kit so not too bad. I havent personally used in on aquariums but it works awesomely for custom acrylic computer cases.

EDIT: I just did a quick google search and found the kit - even cheaper than the last time i checked. The company that makes it is called novus.
Check it out.

thanks for the advice im gonna order it and will never use an sos pad to clean it, i feel so stupid lol

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
sharkguy said:
my 400 gallon is really a pain to keep it maintained everyhting is fine except my ammonia is extremly high we changed ALL the water about 2 weeks ago i done a 80 gallon change 2 days ago teh ammonia is of the chart at well above 8ppm any ideas?
Offhand, I'd say it’s the lack of enough biological filtration. You have very large fish that are producing a lot of ammonia, and need enough nitrifying bacteria to break it down. With that kind of bioload, you will need a high-efficiency biofilter, like a wet/dry or large fluidized bed, or both. Even then, it will take several weeks for the bacteria to develop to the point where they can handle the tank.

This is probably the only time I can imagine saying that 400 gallons is too small.

DansMarineTank

This ship is England!
Dec 13, 2004
Ipswich (UK)
MO i think you hit the nail on the head 400 g is not enough for the bioload, Fluidised bed filter is your best bet, one rated for koi ponds should do the trick but its gonna take a while your gonna have to keep up the water changes to save the sharks i fear

sharkguy

Jaws!!!
Dec 19, 2005
Tampa, FL
This is probably the only time I can imagine saying that 400 gallons is too small.[/QUOTE]

to small as in the tnak isnt big enough for the sharks or? im am a lil iffy about the leopard shark as he does a bit big but the nurses seem fine maybe im wrong?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store