new to the site posting pic of my setup lmk what you think

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sharkguy

Jaws!!!
Dec 19, 2005
Tampa, FL
www.awdturbodspyder.s5.com
hollistersunset said:
Where's the sea horse cuz?! :p I like it!!
aww look my lil cousin well lil but older cousin lol joined just to comment :shark:

and wheres the sea horse? i honestly dunno i looked for an hour and cant find it weather he can play hide n seek really good or it ended a mignight snack already i dunno :( :joe:

Last edited:

tomdkat

Da Man
Nov 29, 2005
DansMarineTank said:
MO i think you hit the nail on the head 400 g is not enough for the bioload, Fluidised bed filter is your best bet, one rated for koi ponds should do the trick but its gonna take a while your gonna have to keep up the water changes to save the sharks i fear
I addition to adding the biological filtration, would adding substrate to the bottom help any? I'm thinking that might provide a place for a bacteria colony to form in the tank, given the length and width of it.

EDIT: He's already got a wet/dry filter in operation as well as a protein skimmer.

Peace...

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
Wheres the 125lbs of coral? Your seahorse, which you don't know how to care for, is probably in a sharks stomach. I don't think that tank is large enough to keep just one of those sharks, how long has it been set up? Wheres the sting ray?

Last edited:

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
Maximum Size: the Ginglymostoma cirratum grows up to 168 inches.
General Size Specifications: This fish will come to you generally 12 - 18 inches in size
Minimum Tank Size: The Nurse Shark prefers a tank of at least 1000 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim.
Diet: The Ginglymostoma cirratum is a carnivore and likes to eat variety of chopped crustaceans, fish pieces, shrimp, shellfish, squid.
Level of Care: The Nurse Shark is a high maintenance fish.
Behavior: The Nurse Shark may act aggressively toward other fish. Not Venemous but may bite if provoked.
Hardiness: This is not a hardy fish.
Breeding: Able to breed.
Water Conditions: Keep water quality high (SG 1.020 - 1.025, pH 8.1 - 8.4, Temp. 72 - 78° F).
Range: the Caribbean.
General Notes: The Nurse Shark, is a very large, fast growing shark. It gets it's name from the sucking sound it's mouth makes when it is removed from the water. Will quickly outgrow all but the largest of tanks and is likely best left to observation at public aquariums and zoos. It is a hardy animal in captivity but is highly predaceous and will consume any fish and crustacean it can catch. Can grow roughly 8 inches a year in captivity. This shark is rarely available in the industry due to being illegal to capture during breeding season. Generally harmless unless provoked. Please check the availability status of this animal as collection is seasonal.

sharkguy

Jaws!!!
Dec 19, 2005
Tampa, FL
www.awdturbodspyder.s5.com
wastememphis said:
Wheres the 125lbs of coral? Your seahorse, which you don't know how to care for, is probably in a sharks stomach. I don't think that tank is large enough to keep just one of those sharks, how long has it been set up? Wheres the sting ray?

its there tehy are alot larger then they appear, i found the seahorse earlier, i admitted i dont know anyhting about it but it was given to me instead of telling me it int eh stomach of the shark y not tell me how to keep it? i fugured someone would be an *** didnt take long huh :mad2: :duh:

the tank has been setup about 2 months and a full water change was done recently and a 80 gallon change a couple days ago ud haev seen that had u read it :rolleyes:

btw thanks for the info on the nurse sharks how bout some on the leopard since i coulfnt find any aside from where they are from n what they eat :help:
the stingray hardly ever comes out ill get a few pics of it when it does come out :D

Last edited:

Mahlhavoc

AC Members
Nov 1, 2005
Don't take this wrong, being alot of us take very seriously our tanks and animals, I think Waste is trying subtely to tell you this is a bad idea. I am not repremanding, just stating what I have observed.

Your tank hasn't cycled, from what I understand, and it dosent seem you understand exactly what this entails from your posts. It entails a place for bacteria to grow for denitrification that can take up to about four months in some circumstances and a good enough place for this depending on the bioload. These animals should not be introduced into a tank that hasn't cycled.

You don't have such a place in your aquarium ATM or outside of it for bacteria to grow in large enough amounts to keep up with the bioload. I am not exactly sure what a
400 wet/dry
is or its effectivness. from your pictures I do not see
approx 125 lbs of coral
or
180 lbs of live sand (crushed coral) none dry all wet
looks more like a thin layer of about 5-5 gallon buckets full or something. If it is 180 LBS, you need to more than double it IMO especially with a stingray.

The stingray and sharks are messy eaters and very wastefull and I can understand why you have high amonia levels and I think you will continue to have such in your current setup if you don't do a few things.

These animals are fine in a VERY large tank, or even yours if done correctly but only for a short while, but probably not all together as the stingray and seahorse will be the first to go. Good luck and if you need advice there are plenty of people here that would love to help you out.

Nice tank BTW, very large and has LOTS of possibilities! ;)

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
I'm not trying to be an *** but you're keeping three sharks and a sting ray, not only in the same tank but in a house.

lepord shark

seahorse care

Mahlhavoc, exactally. I'm glad that you have a skimmer, but you need to kinda explain what the filter set up is for the tank, is it all on the right hand side? Sting rays like length and width of a tank, so the hight isn't helping him out, he still looks kinda small but they will get around two feet in diamter and it should have a large area of sand to hover around.

Oh yeah, I did read it... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Mahlhavoc

AC Members
Nov 1, 2005
So all your water comes from the ocean? Sand and rocks also? How long have they been in your tank?

They could also have die off that add to an amonia spike, water, rocks, and sand.

As for your stingray:

YELLOW STINGRAY

Order: Rajiformes
Family: Urolophidae
Genus: Urobatis
Species: jamaicensis

Taxonomy

The yellow stingray is a member of the Urolophidae (round rays) family. This ray was first described by Cuvier (1816) as Raja jamaicensis. The current nomenclature for the yellow stingray is Urobatus jamaicensis (Cuvier 1816), however most of the literature concerning this ray can be found under the name Urolophus jamaicensis (Cuvier 1816). Junior synonyms include Trygonobatus torpedinus Desmarest 1823 and Urobatis sloani vermiculatus Garman 1913. The currently valid name Urobatis jamaicensis gets its genus name from the Greek words "oura" = tail and "batis" = a ray

Common Names
While Urobatis jamaicensis is commonly call the "yellow stingray", it has also been referred to as the "round stingray," "yellow spotted stingray," and the "maid stingray." There are many common names for this ray, including Jamaicaanse doornrog (Dutch), pikkukeihäsrausku (Finnish), trygon jamajski (Polish), tembladera (Spanish), raya (Spanish), and raya pintada (Spanish).

Distinctive Features
Like other rays of the Urolophidae family, the yellow stingray is characterized by a round body. U. jamaicensis has a well developed caudal fin that extends around the tip of its tail. The tail spine is located just anterior to the caudal fin. The distance from the tip of the tail to cloaca is shorter than the distance between the cloaca and snout. Additionally the posterior edge of the pelvic fins are rounded.The yellow stingray lacks a dorsal fin.

Size, Age, and Growth
To date no study has examined age and growth of U. jamaicensis. Observational data indicate that yellow stingray grows to 26 inches (66 cm) in length with a maximum disc width of approximately 14 inches (35 cm). Examination of the condition of the claspers suggest that males are sexually mature at a disc width of 15-16 cm.

Food Habits
While there is no literature describing U. jamaicensis feeding habits, its method of prey capture may be similar to the round stingray, U. halleri. The round stingray has been observed to scoop out large holes in the muddy or sandy bottom by "waving" its pectoral fins. This action serves to expose any buried worms, crabs or small fish. It has also been suggested that the yellow stingray may attract prey by raising its snout to create a shady area for small fish to hide

Predators
Any large carnivorous fish, especially sharks such as the tiger shark, is a potential predator of the yellow stingray.

Parasites
Cestodes such as Acanthobothrium cartagenensis, Phyllobothrium kingae, Rhinebothrium magniphallum, and Discobothrium caribbensis are among the endoparasites associated with the yellow stingray.

Danger to Humans
Like most rays, the yellow stingray presents little danger to humans. Stingrays only use their venomous tail spine as a form of defense. Stepping on a stingray is the most common way people are injured by these fish. While being stuck by a stingray spine can be painful, it is rarely life threatening.

Conservation
While not a commercially targeted species, the yellow stingray may be a source of by-catch. Additionally, populations of the yellow stingray can be influenced by a loss of habitat and a reduction in prey sources. U. jamaicensis is not currently a listed species with the World Conservation Union (IUCN).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store