new to the site posting pic of my setup lmk what you think

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
one last thing for tonight...

I bought the book "Seahorses, Pipefish and their Relatives-A comprehensive guide to syngnathiformes" by Rudie H. Kutier, Its comming in next week but you should look online or at a barnes and noble and find out how to take care of your horse. Since it was caught in a net, it will only eat live mysis. It won't know what frozen food or flakes are... you might be better off moving him into a ten gallon tank as long as it has cycled and its water quatity is good. You can try to grow your own brine shrimp or buy them from a LFS but they need to eat a few times a day since they have such a small stomach. I'd be very consirned about it, even though it was free... its a living thing, try to read everything you can about them when you have spare time... I hope he makes it, maybe a LFS could take it from you if your smaller tanks aren't ready.

www.seahorse.org

Last edited:

sharkguy

Jaws!!!
Dec 19, 2005
Tampa, FL
www.awdturbodspyder.s5.com
from your pictures I do not see or looks more like a thin layer of about 5-5 gallon buckets full or something. If it is 180 LBS, you need to more than double it IMO especially with a stingray.

The stingray and sharks are messy eaters and very wastefull and I can understand why you have high amonia levels and I think you will continue to have such in your current setup if you don't do a few things.

These animals are fine in a VERY large tank, or even yours if done correctly but only for a short while, but probably not all together as the stingray and seahorse will be the first to go. Good luck and if you need advice there are plenty of people here that would love to help you out.

Nice tank BTW, very large and has LOTS of possibilities! ;)

far as the sand in that pic was actually sand from the bay it now has (please look at pics on first pages) 160 lbs adn i haev 1 bag not put in it still and the wet/dry is actually built into the rear of the tank (behind the blue background) ill get pics on it in a couple days if any one wants to see? lmk

So all your water comes from the ocean? Sand and rocks also? How long have they been in your tank?
They could also have die off that add to an amonia spike, water, rocks, and sand.
no nothing in the new setup is from teh bay all from lfs

thanks for all the great information i haev changed the horsehorse to the 10 gallon i dunno if that is to small after doin test teh ph is 8.2 ammonia is 0 nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 0 and teh strange part all that water is from teh bay rocks and san i believe that what u were refering to as me gettin all the stuff from the bay maybe? ive not even did a water change or added any type pf chemicals on it its been up for 2 months

btw im sorry for calling you an *** i know u dont mean it, but since im a newb here i know how it goes as a year ago when i join www.tamparacing.com forums everyone got on me but as i got into it more and got alot more posts i relize they are just tryin to help (not nesscarilly in the best way but it works i guess) im reading up on the seahorse now he appears to be happier in the small tank e moves a lil more

umm i think i got everyone thanks for the advice and info from everyone

i did have another problem tonight that seems like it happens alot the skimmer is 2 weeks old adn im doubting it to be broken in adn it put lots i mean lots so many i cant even see the back of the tank on one saide anyone have any ideas how to minimize it till it breaks in ive searched and ive tried everything ive seen n nothing changes it

thanks again guys and girls :dance:

Last edited:

sharkguy

Jaws!!!
Dec 19, 2005
Tampa, FL
now is this a beautiful tank or what? :p:

seahorse in 10 gallon can anyone identify it?

im sorry they are blurry but its best i can do at night i guess i took about 25 pics and all were blurry ill try again in daylight if no one can identify it

Last edited:

Gealcath

AC Members
Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
One of the conflicts is a stingray and the sharks. Stingrays need ALOT of open space as they like to burrow into the sand, the problem with this is that leaves little chance to put in any amount of rocks to help handle the bioload of the sharks (same situation with Horseshoe crabs, need alot of open space). Basically as was mentioned before the bioload is more then the bacteria can handle which is why theres a high ammonia levels, and unfotunatly you cant put in enough live rock (this would be the most important thing to add, and it would take alot of LR for a 400gl) but the stingray wont like it.

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
It would be worth it to buy a large tank for a sump and fill it with live rock. You'd have to pick out good pieces since this will be your primary filtration, so like 300lbs of premium live rock, not base rock. Skimmers take a little time to kick in, but by looking at the pictures it doesn't look like that is big enough for your tank. It looks like it could be for a 100gallon tank max. If you make a sump on your tank you can fit a large AMS skimmer in there that could easily handle your tank.

sharkguy

Jaws!!!
Dec 19, 2005
Tampa, FL
the skimmer box said upto 225 gallon so it was small but biggest i could fin in my area

i have an extra 125 gallon sittin on my porch i was thinking about selling im guessing itd be wise to keep it and use it again now how would it be best to dim?

tomdkat

Da Man
Nov 29, 2005
sharkguy said:
the skimmer box said upto 225 gallon so it was small but biggest i could fin in my area
Can you possibly order stuff online? Get a larger skimmer, etc?

Peace...

Galaxie

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
VA
ive not even did a water change or added any type pf chemicals on it its been up for 2 months
No experience with salt aquariums here, but a general rule of thumb, I think, is 25% water changes weekly. Even more than 25% for you I'd think.... that's a huge bio-load.

fyi, 36-inches tall and 36-inches wide? ....maybe the picture is a little skewed, but it looks taller than wide.

FreddytheFish

Nano-Reefer
Aug 29, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
Awesome tank! Welcome to the site!

Are the nurse sharks gonna be able to live in that tank permanantley? They get like 10-12 feet. (sorry if someone already addressed this, I didn't have time to read the entire thread.)

:dive2:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store