Ongoing battle with rescued Discus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
sending you a pm shawn

shawnhu

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
New York City
Thanks, got it and much appreciated.

I was browesing through SeaChem's website, and came across a few products that intrigued me. Equilibrium, GarlicGuard, Focus, Discus Buffer, Neutral Regulator, and Replenish.

As stated by Chad, my GH and KH may be a bit low for the health of these guys. Unfortunately, I was unsucessfull in sourcing out RO Right locally, so it's most likely that I'll have to order something online. Since that's the case, I'd like to give SeaChem a chance.

So here's the question, anyone have experience with Equilibrium or their new product Replenish? They're both designed for increasing GH, but one is for the planted tank, the other is not. I'll be looking into Equilibrium, as I plan to go planted in the future.

Another set of products that sparked my eye is Neutral Regulator and Discus Buffer. Seems like they are KH targetting products, that ultimately affect the PH. Would it be safe to say that Sodium Bicarbonate would do the same as both these products, or is there something more to it than that?

GarlicGuard and Focus seems to be more for food. GarlicGuard would be cool to have around, but again, probably same as home-made garlic-laced foods. The Focus seems to be an antibacterial binder, that binds the meds to the food.

I'm thinking of taking a ride up to The House of Fins in CT. If anyone knows that place, a run-down of it would be great before I head up there. Seems to be the closest Platinum rated SeaChem dealer around me.

shawnhu

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
New York City
For those who's been keeping up with this thread, I have some bad news. I lost one of the 10 Discus that I got several months back. I found the little guy when I returned from work, he was missing during feeding so I looked for him, he was under the driftwood, sideways. He was the one that didn't really eat, and was really thin. Most would probably have euthanized him, but I tried to give him a chance to recover, but failed.

He wasn't the prettiest of the bunch, not by far. He was grey, with a hint of blue. He never had any bars though, not sure if he even came with any. He was stunted, and also had a razor head. Interesting thing was, no one bothered the little guy, while the others were busy chasing one another around, none of them really bullied this guy. It was like they knew his time wasn't long, and let him live out the rest of his life in peace. Even in his passing, he found the only hiding spot that no one could get to, right under the wood sideways, just big enough for him to get in there.

I'm still depressed by it and all. I haven't really had any fish casualties. Even though he wasn't the prettiest of Discus, I'll miss him.

His death will not be one in vein. I mustered up the courage, and took out the tweezers, scissors, toothpicks, and whatever else I ould find to aid me. This would be my first fish dissection, and hopefully my last.

I took pictures along the way, hopefully one day might help someone else. They are a bit graphic, and won't be posted unless it's requested.

What I found was two(2) main living organisms inside his gut. I found Capillaria and it's eggs, and also some type of very small flexing organism. I believe it to be Costia, as they were still very small under 500x magification. Some were anchored and flexing, while others were swimming wildly. They were rather longer than they are round, and resembled a gill fluke. Surprisingly, I was not able to find anything when looking at the gills.

I just spent many hours carefully dissecting the 2" fish, prepairing slides, looking through the scope for anything, and taking pictures. And then I would double check all the slides, 3 times over to make sure I didn't miss anything. So naturally, I'm depressed, and tired. I just wanted to update this thread, as it comes.

I'll probably have more tomorrow, or later tonight. For now, that's all.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Sorry you lost him, even when you think they're not going to make it, it still stinks when they die.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
shawn it was a valiant attempt. the discus proved to be a tough one .

unfortunate that the battle was lost. but given the fish arrived in poor shape

You Done Good my friend.

it's never easy when you lose a battle like this. you can get attached the the lil buggers.

sorry for the loss.

shawnhu

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
New York City
Battle will still continue, and now I can confirm some of my targets with the help of this little guy. I will now be shifting my targets to the 2 live organisms that I saw, the Capillaria and Costia(or something similar to it). I was not able to find any flukes, so I will most likely not treat with any anti-fluke meds for some time, and focus on what I think caused this little guy to fall ill. His death may very well have saved the rest of my stock.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
IMO you went above and beyond what most folks would do. I commend you on the efforts, and especially the follow-up work with the necropsy and documentation.

Mark

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Battle will still continue, and now I can confirm some of my targets with the help of this little guy. I will now be shifting my targets to the 2 live organisms that I saw, the Capillaria and Costia(or something similar to it). I was not able to find any flukes, so I will most likely not treat with any anti-fluke meds for some time, and focus on what I think caused this little guy to fall ill. His death may very well have saved the rest of my stock.

:thm: so it was not in vain

shawnhu

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
New York City
Mark,

Thanks for the suport. It was my first necropsy, and it was a hard one. For the sake of the rest of these guys, I mustered up the courage, and forced myself to go into desensitized mode. It was also physically difficult, as the little guy was only about 2" and has been refusing to eat for some time, only nibbling at FBW when it's thrown in his face.

shawnhu

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
New York City
Yesterday, I fed everyone a Beef Heart food medicated with Metronidazole pure powder. I used 1/8 teaspoon per 10 cubes of San Fransisco Brand frozen BH. I also added a small amount of Knox Gelatine to bind the meds to the food.

Today, I noticed a lighter color on most of them, but their appetite still has yet to return to normal. It's the first day, but it's looking good so far.

After this treatment with the Metro laced food, I'd like to take another break before going with the Fenbendazole, does anyone know how long should I wait before another round of treatment should be given? The Fenbendazole will treat for nematodes, particularly Capillaria worms.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store