Overstocking World Record

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
Or, the local paper's gardening columnist, who I tried to tell that you can't put "a few" goldfish in a 1 gallon vase water garden that she wrote about.... She wrote back "I have 20 comets in one 35-gallon tank with filter, aerator, etc. and aside from going outside into the pond for the summer, have doing very well for the last few years."

750t

AC Members
May 24, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
I just had 7 female guppies give birth at pretty much the same time. There are so many fish in this 20 gal planted tank. I cant even count them.:shake:

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
lol...I knew a guy that takes the cake and is the king of all overstockers. He had a 40 gallon breeder tank(36X18X16), and in it he had 2 oscars, 1 red devil, 1 carpentis, 2 salvini, 1 nicaraquense, 2 channel cats, and even a young silver arowana at one point. I remember it being a nice looking tank with a huge rock structure all along the back half of the tank going up to the surface with numerous caves. It was in here the catfish lived. He also had 2 aquaclear 500s on it, supplimented by a vortex diatom filter. Most of the fish looked amazing and one of the oscars was probably the prettiest I've ever seen. It was jet black with bright red markings. The only fish that didn't live long was the arowana.:rolleyes: ...some people amaze me.

Must4ng s4lly

AC Members
Jan 9, 2004
Houston
Visit site
I dunno! Those are all amazing but I have one for ya!

I have in a 58 for two years:
20 - 25 cories
2 paradise gouramis
2 long fin rosy barbs
3 albino tiger barbs
3 striped tiger barbs
2 4 inch pictus cats
5 chinese algae eaters 3 are 4 inches
1 10 inch pleco (need to trade him as he is a common & BIG!)
7 swordtails
8 guppies
2 mollies
3 molly babies
4 cherry barbs
6 small stipped barbs have 5 stripes and are orange?? not tigers
2 clown loaches - growing fast!
2 otos
1 4 inch long finned pleco
1 large gold gourami
1 4 inch flying fox
1 Bumble bee Goby
2 upside down cats
1 african swarf frog - fat

1 painted sub
3 metal airplanes
1 castle
1 piece driftwood
3 shells (has been in aquariums for 10 years)
1 model of the Uss Lexington
* I will upload a pic of all this soon!

**heavily planted with all kinds of plants and large amozon swords

*** I have a FULL tank and am waiting to buy another large tank to divide fish into. I actually tried to catch some to put in another tank but they are so elusive! Ripped up all my plants!

Do 30 - 40% water changes every two weeks.... Full tank gravel vacuum. Feed frozen and flake food. All are healthy, very colorful and growing. I am selling some larger fish to LFS and he is amazed by their great condition....
I have a tester that stayes on the side and tells me amonia levels at all times. Right now it is yellow + good. Hardly ever goes blue + change water.

AHHHH! This is not to brag at all, it is too many and I know it. Trying to remediate!

Last edited:

Aquarius0015

AC Members
Sep 29, 2003
Richmond, VA
Visit site
My stepfather liked my new Eclipse System 12 so much that he was spending an eery amount of time in my room. Eventually my mother got the hint and took the old 20 gallon out of storage. It was covered in dust and hard water stains and even had a few cobwebs. Guess who got to clean and stock it?

Anyway, before I sold my stepfather on the idea of tropicals, he wanted 50 or so of the twelve cent feeder comets from Wal-Mart. In addition he wanted a few catfish to clean the bottom. On top of it all, he insisted I use the 10 year old UGF (it was turning yellow) as the only means of filtration because he wanted to save money. It took over a week to convince him to get tropicals instead, and he didn't really like the platies I picked out because he doesn't think they are colorful enough and they are "too stiff."

CHINABOY1021

experienced newbie
May 2, 2003
Toronto ON Canada
Visit site
i have only read the first post. all i have to say is a lot of you get fired up too easiler with this "over-stocking" thing.

if the tank is cycled properly, ammonia and nitrites will not appear with that bioload. plus plants like nitrates. calm down and dont be suprised by the results. you can have ammonia and nitrites in a 90gallon with an oscar. tank size doesnt matter, its the amount of ammonia produced that matters if the tank can support the biload.

Must4ng s4lly

AC Members
Jan 9, 2004
Houston
Visit site
My tank got slowly stocked to that level over a year and has the same fish in it for the next year (2 year tank). I keep a very close eye one it a note ANY changes.... I have actually sold some of the fish to my LFS too. Still too many but knida wild huh???

BTW, Aquarius that is a funny story! He didn't get it! LOL! Does he like it (tank) now??

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
It appears that overstocking the tank is feasible with relatively low maintenance...

My 25g:
- 5 platies
- 2 blue rams
- 4 panda cories
- 5 harlequin rasboras
- 4 bristlenose plecos
- 2 otos
- java moss and java ferns.

That's 22 fishes totaling about 40 fish inches. It's been running this way for the past few months, with 20% weekly water change. Ammonia/nitrite are zero, and even nitrate is houvering at around 5ppm, BEFORE water change...

I wanted to build a low maintenance tank, and I have one, even though it is overstocked... :D

I have to admit though, I will not overstock my next tank...

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store