Overstocking World Record

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aquarius0015

AC Members
Sep 29, 2003
Richmond, VA
Visit site
mustangsally, he likes it well enough, but he cannot wait to add more fish. I stocked it with 4 platies, 2 swords, and 3 small cories. He didn't understand why I only came home with 9 fish. He thinks the tank looks empty and 9 or 10 more will do the trick. It is obvious that he is not the one who will be doing water changes (mother is in charge right now and I take over whenever I'm home from school). This is also a man who prefers $1 fish and thinks $4 for a fish is outrageous, so I imagine he will choose small tetras or guppies. On the other hand he really likes mollies (uh-oh.....)

I'm just hoping the lack of cycling won't kill what is in the tank now. I tried to tell my parents that you need to progress slowly, but adults are just too impatient I guess. So now mother is stuck with twice weekly water changes, hahaha. :D

Must4ng s4lly

AC Members
Jan 9, 2004
Houston
Visit site
Aquarius Yeah, it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks ;) He'll get it soon enuf! that is funny tho.... I did NOT over stock my 5 & 10 gal tanks, they are just not as flexible.... my theory is get the largest tank possible and then go for it. I think its cute your stepfather found that old tank and got all into it. He'll learn soon enough about it all. He'll figure it out. but in the mean time you get to be on poo patrol with all the water changes.....

The mollies are cute, but OH the babies LOL! :) the expesive fish rule! :) I hope the cycling is OK. I actually had no cycling issues with my 58 gal. My 10 gal was another story. OH what a nightmare! AHhh! Of course I learned it all the hard way :)
take care and good luck!

Mark_b

AC Members
Jun 24, 2003
Visit site
Correct me if i'm wrong but as long as you have a large enough surface area for biological filtration isn't there no limit on how many fish you could have in a tank as long as it was cycled and then stocked slowly?

For example if you had an xp3 filled with ehfisubstrat then you could probably get away with a huge shoal of cardinals in a 10g.
Obviously that doesnt mean you can have a 12" oscar in a 10g, even if the bioload was the same it doesnt help the oscar turn around!

As for that 180g Blitzen, ive seen that before and it really is a disgrace isnt it!?I cant understand how those people think that it is not cruel to keep those fish in that size tank!:argh

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Providing adequate biological filtration for the fish load is just one aspect of correctly stocking a tank. The space needs, aggressive tendencies, growth factors, social structure, ect are all important factors in correctly stocking a tank. For example, you could have one of five different tetras in a 10 gallon tank. Those 5 fish won't come close to maxing out the biological capacity of the tank, they'll have enough space, and ever fish will be able to eat. However, having 5 of just one species would make for more comfortable fish.

Mark_b

AC Members
Jun 24, 2003
Visit site
Well put Oriongirl!
Thats basically what i was trying to say.
That providing enough biological filtration is obviously important but this to me seems the easiest part of stocking to take care of. It is easy enough to provide enough biological filtration using the likes of canister filters. So other aspects of stocking become far more important to consider, eg. space for fish, compatible tank mates, providing a group for species that only feel comfortable in groups, etc.

dethjam316

AC Members
Apr 6, 2003
south of nowhere, north of nothing
Originally posted by Mark_b
Correct me if i'm wrong but as long as you have a large enough surface area for biological filtration isn't there no limit on how many fish you could have in a tank as long as it was cycled and then stocked slowly?
you're right. as long as there is comparable surface area, there would be no limit. of course, to have infinite fish, you'd need infinite surface area!!:D

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
ok

where did you find that pic of the rediculously over stocked tank - the fish can't even turn aroun! that's just common sense that you can't keep them like that! i think when fish get that big they are boring to watch

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store