Overstocking World Record

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, that one definitely takes the cake.

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by sumoschro
Maybe they were planning on eating them, so they didnt care how overstocked it was. No matter how scrunched that tank is i like the red scales on that big Arapaima.
yea those fish are awesome, i wanted to buy one at the fish store but maybe if i lived in the tropics so i can give it a huge outdoor pond. im satisfied watching them at seaworld though. the overstocking thing is just what they do in asia if you look around on arofanatics there are a lot of people that cram tons of arowanas etc into tanks. there are people there who knows the right way to do things and im hoping they are letting the other hobbiest know about it.

lawdawg18

AC Members
Oct 6, 2003
Jackson, Ms
Visit site
My supervisor at work has a 29 gallon tank in his office. In it is prob 10 - 12 corys. 8 or so Common pleco 3 of which are 8 inches long or more, and huge round goldfish bigger than a softball. I'll have to stop in his office and get the exact #'s. He hardly if ever changes water. When I got my 55 gal he told me I would only have to change some water like once a year in it.

lawdawg18

AC Members
Oct 6, 2003
Jackson, Ms
Visit site
He prob isnt sure what PH or nitrates are. He got me started with fish tanks but thank goodness I found forums like this to answer all my questions instead of taking his advice. Maybe I'll sneak some water out of his tank and run a test on it. THATS A SCARY THOUGHT.

Uncle Bete

AC Members
Jan 13, 2004
NC / USA
Visit site
If you happen to do that(test his water).

Write down some observations like;
1. filtration types (undergravel/hob/etc.
2. how deep is the substrate/type (small/med/large/sand)
3. if it has mechanical filters(sponges etc. ask how often he changes/cleans them.

Because if his water chemistry doesn't show up too bad, I think I won't be the only one asking these Q's? ;)

People do run tanks like this, probably more than not.

And I'd like to know how and maybe see why it's possible.

midcuk

AC Members
Feb 10, 2003
newcastle
Visit site
my local granny home has a small 2ft tank in the waiting area with no filtration at all no lights the glass is so green you can hardly see the fish
the fish

6 12" koi
4 large oranda
about 10 small goldfish (from what i can see)
1 18" plec

all look totally healthy water never changed rarely fed (grannies put toast in on a morning tee hee)
weird or what

LongTime

AC Members
May 10, 2004
Florissant, MO
Visit site
Life will go on as long as it can if the existing circumstances can support that life.

You can keep a very large active dog in a 6' x 4' kennel and as long as you provide food, water and clean the kennel, it will live a long life, but not necessarily the best life.

We also "warehouse" people quite well in prisons, concentration/POW camps and nursing homes. Most people don't want to live that way.

It should not be a question, IMO, of what you can stock, but what you should stock in order to provide the best environment for a captive species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store