Painting the back of a tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bellazeus

AC Members
Feb 7, 2008
Australia
Did you hold the colour sample underneath your tank lights before you chose it ? cos its going to look different :) i would buy a couple of little sample pots and paint them on a bit of glass and hold them behind your tank to avoid any further dissapointment... i think it looks better painted than without...but the blue to me looks a little lfsish... was it glass paint or just general household paint ?

Reddog80p

Permanently Dechlor'd
Nov 18, 2006
I think it looks good too. I hate when paint colors don't end up looking like the color swatch :headshake:

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
I just use cheap spray paint. Because you are seeing the backside of the paint, I think it will come up different.

What you could do is get some small pieces of glass and take them to a hardware store and test them out.

btw, I think it looks good.
Well, I bought a qt. of it at the hardware store I didn't use spray paint....oh, well it's done and I think with some more plants and rearrangement of the rocks (they are still just thrown in there from the "move around") it will be fine...I may still add one more coat, just to see if it changes it at all.

And Thanks John!!

Did you hold the colour sample underneath your tank lights before you chose it ? cos its going to look different :) i would buy a couple of little sample pots and paint them on a bit of glass and hold them behind your tank to avoid any further dissapointment... i think it looks better painted than without...but the blue to me looks a little lfsish... was it glass paint or just general household paint ?
No, I didn't hold it under the light, and it was just regular flat paint they mixed for me.

I think it looks good too. I hate when paint colors don't end up looking like the color swatch :headshake:
Thanks you Dog:)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I have painted several with a roller and using latex without any issues, and never did anything about the fish inside. Usually I paint them before set up, and outside.

I do like the blue you chose, Lady, looks like a lot of the blue acryllic ones I see.

Question, though, do you always keep your filter suctions up that high?

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
I have painted several with a roller and using latex without any issues, and never did anything about the fish inside. Usually I paint them before set up, and outside.

I do like the blue you chose, Lady, looks like a lot of the blue acryllic ones I see.

Question, though, do you always keep your filter suctions up that high?
In this tank yes, that is as far down as they go.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
Get some tube extensions, your tank will stay cleaner...:)
Well, it normally doesn't look like that...but when I move the filters around crap goes everywhere. Now that it has had a moment to settle down, it looks much better...but yes, I know I really should get extensions and I most likely will, but right now I have so many other things I need to get, like another canister, a basket, a overflow box, and a return pump...the extentions are far down on the list LOL!!

IMG_0474.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store