Peru Trip

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Hey guys, I have a huge opportunity coming up and I just want some input. I'm going to Peru to stay in the amazon for two weeks, leaving March 3rd and coming back the 18th. The vast majority will be spent at a field station on Rio Orosa, a tributary of the Amazon, near Iquitos, Peru. Now I know I will be netting fish, and I might have the opportunity to bring a few back. Can you help me with some suggestions of what to look for that we don't see very much in the US? I can only bring back smaller fish, seeing as my biggest tank is a 29 gal.

Here are some maps. It's in the northeastern part of Peru, and I'm staying at the Madre Selva Station.

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Wow that article is amazing. Thank you so much for finding it.

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
It's a long story. Basically I'm going for free (minus the plane ticket) with my uncle and one of the classes he teaches at a private high school. So yes and no.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Make sure you are up on your shots bro and you may want a couple more that you may not be aware of plus do not pee in the water and take bug spray repellent.. Have fun i may be going to CA with Mr Wessel in April..

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
Do you have permits? You will not be allowed to take any fish back trough the airline unless you have your permits.

tonergirl

AC Members
Sep 22, 2008
Wow, that's an amazing opportunity!! I just can't imagine flying to "Peru" on a class trip, LOL. Have fun and don't drink anything that isn't bottled and check with your physician to make sure you've had all the necessary innoculations. Good Luck :)

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Since I'm going through a school, the vaccinations are pretty well regulated. More importantly, you have to show proof of all your vaccinations to customs. So yeah, all I need to do is take my malarone, but that starts just before I leave and continues until after I get back.

Thanks Pitt, and believe me, I won't. I would rather not have a parasite swim up my urethra.

Nano - I'm not sure if we have all the necessary permits yet. That's the reason I'm not 100% sure I can bring some back.

abarilot

AC Members
Jun 7, 2009
By the Beach!
Real Name
Armand
For permits make sure you get the export permit from Peru. This is the only permit you really need for US customs because you are not a commercial fish importer. When I brought fish back from Uruguay I just told the customs officials at Miami I was bringing back fish from a fishing trip, they scanned my bags and let me pass no more questions asked. What airport are you going to be going through customs? I heard Atlanta is the most strict of all airports.

As for fish, bring back whatever you think is cool. I would highly recommend setting up more tanks but that is just me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store