Peru Trip

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Apr 2, 2002
New York
Look here:

The Peru 2000 Series, Part 2 • Fish List • Geography • Shane's ...
1 Jan 2002... Sandbar in Amazon River; Rio Orosa at Madre Selva Forest Preserve; Madre Selva Forest Preserve; Tunche Cano stream; Rio Orosa; ...
www.planetcatfish.com
www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworld/shanesworld.php?article_id=194

Note collecting locales #7 and 8-

• Madre Selva Forest Preserve; Tunche Cano stream
  • Rio Orosa at Madre Selva Forest Preserve
They list a lot of fish that are found near where you will be :)

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I'm going to have to be a little choosy with what I bring back though. If you think of anything specific, I'll make them a priority.

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
Hahaha well, be on the look out for Mesonauta (Festivum cichlids), Heros sp. Atabapo (Mouth brooding Severum), Apistogramma Species (eunotus would be a nice find ;) )

***Biotodoma cupido (Cupid Cichlid), Laetacara thayeri, Laetacara flavilabrus (Look for these in particular there really uncommon and are just beautiful species both), Aequidens tetramerus (Saddle Cichlid), Bujurquina vittata***

The fish under the *** are some great looking species. If I were you I'd build a little check list of fish you want to keep and collect along with a photo guide. This way you won't be tossing a net in and taking what you like, it's always good to have set goals!

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
That's extremely helpful, thanks. And there's a third locale on the Orosa listed too.

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Thanks, and I already have started forming a list. I have yet to see any apistos listed near the area, but I know some will be there, and the apistos I keep will just be the best looking ones I can find.

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Okay, well I'm looking at a 20 gallon or a 30 gallon on craigslist. This gives me room to bring more back.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
If I ever had a chance like that I'd also be looking for odd catfish to bring back. There are plenty of other catfish that seldom or never turn up in the hobby unless accidentally caught and sent along with other fish simply because everybody knows Cory cats will sell if they're brought back.
I'd stock up on breather bags for the return trip, and take along a rubbermaid tub or something similar to hold the fish while youre there. A couple of battery-powered air pumps (and plenty of batteries) would also be a good idea.

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I was thinking about that. Apparently the station where I'm staying is pretty well equipped with ichthyology books, so I'll be able to know what I'm catching.

BTW, Todd, you've helped me out before with the oblongum. Are you looking for anything that I might be able to help you out with?

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I was thinking about that. Apparently the station where I'm staying is pretty well equipped with ichthyology books, so I'll be able to know what I'm catching.

BTW, Todd, you've helped me out before with the oblongum. Are you looking for anything that I might be able to help you out with while I'm there?

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Books with lots of pictures? Even then juvies may or may not be recognizable, but you'll have time to sort them out. If you run across any small oddball catfish I'd be happy to try it out.:thm: Hopefully not a baby of some large, predatory species, though come to think of it I could use another excess cichlid fry eater. The Carapo knife doesn't seem able to keep up with the growing fry...
Incidentally, I have another brood of oblongum growing out now. They certainly look big enough to pair off, but haven't started yet. I set up a 90 a couple weeks ago and moved most of them out of 2 29's, hopefully with more space they'll start get romantically interested in each other. They're still in schooling mode now, feeding time is quite a sight. I have oblongum juvies in 5 different tanks now.
Hmm, how big of a fish can you bring back? :evil_lol:
Ironically, the Carapo knife I have now was brought back from Brazil by a CCA member on a collecting trip last year. Since they're considered a food fish they're illegal to export, so he smuggled it back in his suitcase. Even after he had it for a couple months in QT being treated for parasites and whatnot it was just a little one when he brought it in for auction. Check the size compared to the tiny duckweed:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store