Peru Trip

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Should check with US Custom and/or US Wildlife & Peruvial authority as well for proper procedures, if any, before even tempting. If memory serves, even US Custom shouldve/does check for any livestocks/certain food/fruits from abroad. Perhaps it all depends on agent checking the items brought in per inspection...

btw, Congrat on such opportunity! Hope it will be great and memorable trip.

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
As for fish, bring back whatever you think is cool. I would highly recommend setting up more tanks but that is just me.
If it does turn out you can bring back fish, I would set up some stock tanks of even rubbermaids with sponge filters for temporary housing. If you are in a fish club, you might even be able to borrow these from other members.

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I'm coming back through JFK, and yes, it has been confirmed that I can bring a few back. I was definitely planning on setting up another tank, but I thought about it more, and it's just not an option. I just turned 17, so I'm going away to college in less than two years, and I would rather not pile more tanks on my parents. Other than that, I have no reservations against it.

Verbal - do you mean to keep them temporarily when I get back? Because I was thinking of trying to do something like that so I can actually quarantine them. My fish definitely aren't used to the parasites they could bring back.

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
Well if you do go and do bring some back we should talk I'd gladly buy some wild caught Peruvian Cichlid stock!

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Sounds good to me. I was going to bring back more than I could keep anyway, so we'll see how much I can bring back. I can't guarantee anything, but I am extremely optimistic about actually being able to catch and bring some back. Do you have any idea of what you would be interested in? My goal so far is atleast some apistos/ other dwarf cichlids, plecos, cories, and maybe a few tetra, depending upon if I find anything really cool.

clgkag

AC Members
Mar 30, 2008
Dude if you brought back crenicichla compressiceps, I would definately take them off your hands if you could ship.

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
That fish is really cool, but unfortunately, they are native to East Brazil, pretty far from where I'll be.

clgkag

AC Members
Mar 30, 2008
I am pretty sure you can find them in Peru also. I have seen them on anubias design's list of fish available from Peru.

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Well I'll definitely keep an eye out for them then.

Last edited:

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
There's a lot of apistos in the rivers and creeks, are you familiar with a cast net? Also you'll only have really any luck catching apistos if the water levels are low, if there high the little guys will just take off. Try to get some pikes, you might have to use a hook and line but I'm not sure. There's some other great fish there. Just collect what you can and post back what ya get! I'm sure I'll see something

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store