PetSmart "aquarium" plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stezatois

AC Members
May 11, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
One more thing to mention, is that is not only petsmart who sell non aquatic plants in the plants section. I bought a very nice anubis on a coconut shell thats doing wonderfully. not bad since its in the tank wth my big pleco. But that said i have bought in the beginning a dracona plant from an all aquatic store that is totally non aquatc. If anything a lot of plants i have seen are margional bog plants at best.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
That African Water Fern mentioned earlier is a real aquatic plant... it's Bolbitus Heudelotii, which is rather temperamental and needs just the right conditions or it dies completely. But that's probably what someone who knowingly sells non-aquatic plants (like that store) is hoping their customers will assume they are getting. I've been to a lot of those stores and I've never seen an actual Bolbitus for sale through them or any other chain store.

Winged

Likes being a biology major.
Jan 11, 2009
Louisville, KY
The "aqua fern" is neither java fern as zak15 suggested, nor is it the African water fern. It is Trichomanes javanicum, not an aquatic plant at all, despite the label saying it's only for aquariums.

I'm really considering writing a letter to somebody high up, not that I think it will do much good. But, maybe they'll listen to an employee more than they would a customer. I'm sure as heck not going to tell anybody those plants can live in an aquarium. I'll tell PS that too. It's really making me question the honesty and integrity within the company. If they tell customers lies, whose to say they aren't telling the employees lies? That's something else I'll point out.

On a related note...I read some place that when wisteria is grown out of the water, it becomes toxic. Is this true? If so, the wisteria at PS would be toxic.

Oh, and thanks vampie, for your list. A couple of the ones that you didn't have the scientific name for, I do. The umbrella plant is a Spathiphyllum wallisii (a peace lilly?). I also had the name for the peacock fern, but I can't remember what it was, just that it was not a real aquatic plant either.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
I'm really considering writing a letter to somebody high up, not that I think it will do much good. But, maybe they'll listen to an employee more than they would a customer. I'm sure as heck not going to tell anybody those plants can live in an aquarium. I'll tell PS that too. It's really making me question the honesty and integrity within the company. If they tell customers lies, whose to say they aren't telling the employees lies? That's something else I'll point out.

On a related note...I read some place that when wisteria is grown out of the water, it becomes toxic. Is this true? If so, the wisteria at PS would be toxic.
Please be careful about stirring up too much flack with the corporate types. You're not the first employee who wants to take a stand on this point and they've completely ignored (or worse) all the others before you who've also spoken out. It won't make any difference to them what you think of the policy and it really could get blown out of proportion. Don't risk a job you can't afford to lose out of principles.. just in case.

About emergent Wisteria.. that's common practice everywhere, not just at Petsmart. I think just about all commercial sellers send that out in emergent form. And it transitions really fast under water to submerged growth because it grows so fast.

Winged

Likes being a biology major.
Jan 11, 2009
Louisville, KY
Please be careful about stirring up too much flack with the corporate types. You're not the first employee who wants to take a stand on this point and they've completely ignored (or worse) all the others before you who've also spoken out. It won't make any difference to them what you think of the policy and it really could get blown out of proportion. Don't risk a job you can't afford to lose out of principles.. just in case.

About emergent Wisteria.. that's common practice everywhere, not just at Petsmart. I think just about all commercial sellers send that out in emergent form. And it transitions really fast under water to submerged growth because it grows so fast.
Never said I'd let them know who sent it. ;) And if I were to lose my job, well, I'm a college student, and live with my parents. I have a job so I can have a horse. And I know of another pet store that'd like to have me in the fish department if I needed a job. The only thing I'd really miss would be some of my coworkers and my discount.

Thanks for the info on the wisteria. I buy some--I am curious about the gel stuff (and snail free sounds awesome)

TravisMikhail

Registered Member
Jun 28, 2009
Backwoods of Virginia
I purchased the peacock fern from PETSMART not knowing at the time it was non-aquatic. I took it for granted it was since they were marketing it as one. Within 24 hours it had turned light green to white and had started to rot. Lucky for me I had kept the container and sales slip. On the container it stated if not satisfied to return it. I did return it and informed PETSMART they should advise the customers of this, it is misleading at best. They offered to exchange or refund it. I now have the Amazon Sword.

EdaxFlamma

Plant Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2009
Delaware
The peacock fern is a species of Selaginella. At the local pet shop they had the same tubes and when I saw the Dracaena and the Selaginella I had to do a double take and say to myself "...These aren't aquatic..."

thrak76

AC Members
May 31, 2009
lol save your self stress and buy some plants from someone in the classified section. its cheaper and you know your going to get some good plants.
I've gotten two awesome packages of plants from some members here. I'll never buy another plant at Pets**** again!

deeleywoman

All men are equal before fish.
Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
yeah, i was a sucker and bought two thingies of kyoto grass for my tank when i first set it up. it did last a surprisingly long time, but eventually did die. i only but from here now.

also, i move for a mass lettering campaign to the higher-ups, complaining about their "supply" of "aquatic plants"....that way, no one individual employee gets in trouble, and they see a wide-spread demand for real plants >.>

timwag2001

AC Members
Apr 25, 2009
MA
yeah, i was a sucker and bought two thingies of kyoto grass for my tank when i first set it up. it did last a surprisingly long time, but eventually did die. i only but from here now.

also, i move for a mass lettering campaign to the higher-ups, complaining about their "supply" of "aquatic plants"....that way, no one individual employee gets in trouble, and they see a wide-spread demand for real plants >.>
that would be a good idea. but unfortunately lfs sell them also. i probably had everyone of the non aquatic plants that you can possibly buy from petsmart and petco when i first started. i just blame myself now. didnt do any research. they shouldn't sell it the way that they do though.

but you can also go to your lfs and buy plants that need high lighting, or any plant you want really, when you have only 1/2 watt per gallon.

if you find out who to write to i'll hop on the wagon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store