PetSmart "aquarium" plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

clb2196

AC Members
Feb 21, 2009
Mass
I guess I'm lucky! The Petsmart near me has a few tanks with plants, I've bought swords and moneywort there. The Petco has 2 huge stone waterfall tanks with tons of plants- unfortunately they're not usually in good shape, I don't think they get enough light, and probably no ferts.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Unfortunately, it looks like Marineland has also started rebranding the tube plants - with a reputable name behind the product, it's likely that even more stores will start carrying these tube plants instead of the other way around.

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
Yeah, I'm guilty for falling for it too. But you know, some of the non-aquatic ones (maybe except the fern) will last for awhile if you really like the look. I have had a yellow ribbon for 7 months now, it has a couple new leaves, but just doesn't root or grow taller.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
I had also got some of these plants which died last time I went to a Petsmart I saw the plants again in the tube and I was tripping out cuz none were aquatic. There were no amazon swords anubias nothing had lots of plants I use to own when I was younger. If I want true aquatics Ill get them here on aquabid.com or at my local Petco Which also sells them in tubes but also has a nice big tank with potted aquatics in there.

timwag2001

AC Members
Apr 25, 2009
MA
there are about 11 fish stores in my area that i know that have non aquatics. 2 are petsmarts and 2 are petcos. the other ones are just small shops. the smaller ones have some of them in tanks with the plants fully submerged. i'm gonna start calling them out on it.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
MARINELAND IS DOING IT TOO!?!?!?!?! WTF!
Yeah, two stores in my area started carrying Marineland's rebranded tubes. Kind of a downer really, they're good stores and wouldn't have bothered carrying them if it didn't have Marineland's name attached.

I personally hate seeing the LFS selling non-aquatic plants to unsuspecting customers. In reality it really hurts our hobby as plant keepers. Someone goes to a store and they say aquatic so they take the plants home and it dies. Are they going to go back and buy more? Probably not. I hear this same story from alot of people. I tell them to give it another try and inform them the best I can on how to proceed. Some people try again and others just say no. I guess I can't grow plants. Many LFS are just out to make the sale not helping people have nice planted tanks. My motto is "If you succeed I succeed"

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Regarding Petsmarts Swords... I have about a dozen species of plants now in my aquarium.

The only plant I've not had success with is my Amazon Sword from Petsmart. Initially it almost completely died... then grew a couple of small leaves when I cut off all the leaves because they were all dead.

It has stayed like that for months.

I'm not saying all Petsmart plants are bad- they're obviously not and it really does vary hugely by location... BUT- I've had better value and better satisfaction by buying plants from people online. Try people on this forum. I've not had a bad experience yet all the people I've got plants from have given me good plants.

SquirrelOsO

AC Members
Oct 28, 2005
pennsylvania
My first tank i didnt know much about plants and i ended up buying a mondo grass from Petco (not petsmart)
it was in a tank set up with plants, not the tube, but it started to die soon after i bought it, thats when i found out it was mondo grass
i buy online now from a plant aquatic dealer..no more petstores until i get familiar with the names of aquatic and non aquatic plants

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store